Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Changes to French Laws

healdav

I have heard that in the near future the overall speed limit on French ordinary roads will drop from 90 kmh to 80 kmh. Exactly when this will come in I have not yet heard. It will be a littl confusing for a time as all the signs say 90 kmh.

Apparently, the government is going to have all road signs changed.

This is said to be an experiment to see whether it has any effect on road accidents.

The other thing is that the French Court of Appeal has held that it is illegal to use a hand held mobile phone whilst the vehicles is being driven. Strangely, they have decided that 'being driven' includes vehicles being stopped at the roadside with the engine turned off and the hazard light on.

You can now ony use a hand held phone if not in a vehicle, or in a proper car park - or a layby NOT on the road, or a driveway of a house, etc.

If you are caught the on the spot fine is 135 euros, and three points off your licence.

healdav.

Thanks for the information. Never have a problem with making roads safe to drive on, and welcome it. 

Cheers Sir..

16 hours ago, chaz said:

apparently the phone law was changed due to the word 'circulation' , a court case was lost because the definition of circulation was unknown as to whether it meant with or without engine running and/or vehicle moving.

https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/80-km-h-speed-limit/

That's right.

The speed limit reduction comes into effect this summer. Like most French drivers I consider it pretty pointless  (though not pointless if you exceed it, if you take my meaning). Some roads or stretches of road which have a 90 limit should be 80 or even less, but by no means all of them. The change was decided after a very limited experiment, the results of which the government is not releasing. We fear that once it is done we will be stuck with it.

I have just spent money to update my satnav which gives speed limits. Within months it will be totally out of date.

Cheers Martin B

16 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

The speed limit reduction comes into effect this summer. Like most French drivers I consider it pretty pointless  (though not pointless if you exceed it, if you take my meaning). Some roads or stretches of road which have a 90 limit should be 80 or even less, but by no means all of them. The change was decided after a very limited experiment, the results of which the government is not releasing. We fear that once it is done we will be stuck with it.

I have just spent money to update my satnav which gives speed limits. Within months it will be totally out of date.

Cheers Martin B

Without a doubt the 'experiment' will continue until long after you and I are gone.

The real game will be when they bring in the speed limit and haven't changed the signs. Mind you, the speed limit changes so often it is impossible to keep up with it all, anyway.

Allegedly First of July!

On 2/25/2018 at 18:12, healdav said:

The other thing is that the French Court of Appeal has held that it is illegal to use a hand held mobile phone whilst the vehicles is being driven. Strangely, they have decided that 'being driven' includes vehicles being stopped at the roadside with the engine turned off and the hazard light on.

You can now ony use a hand held phone if not in a vehicle, or in a proper car park - or a layby NOT on the road, or a driveway of a house, etc.

If you are caught the on the spot fine is 135 euros, and three points off your licence.

This demonstrates that the law is really an ass. I had a puncture on Tuesday on a major road, stopped on the verge and deployed hazard lights, triangle, hi-viz jacket etc, then failed to extract spare wheel from its housing, so had to call for assistance. According to this it was legal to use the phone if I got out of the car, with traffic hurtling by, making it impossible to hear anyone, and in temperatures of around minus 8, but illegal if I stayed inside in the warmth and relative quiet, where I could easily describe where I was, and at less risk to anyone else. I plead guilty, your honour.

Cheers Martin B

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 09:52, healdav said:

Mind you, the speed limit changes so often it is impossible to keep up with it all, anyway.

It is becoming quite a jumble really! There are more stretches of dual carriageways  arrayed with average speed censors that look like sci fi instruments, and more non-advertised speed cameras around as well.

The phone bit doesn't worry me - I still use two coco tins and some string!

Is it still on track for 1st July?

Sincere thanks for the heads-up.

24 minutes ago, geraint said:

It is becoming quite a jumble really! There are more stretches of dual carriageways  arrayed with average speed censors that look like sci fi instruments, and more non-advertised speed cameras around as well.

The phone bit doesn't worry me - I still use two coco tins and some string!

Is it still on track for 1st July?

Sincere thanks for the heads-up.

As far as I am aware, it will come into force on 1 July.

How anyone will know which stretches are affected is a mystery..

I think that the principle of law means that legislation commencing on 1 July is the law regardless of signage showing other speeds. its not that I'm a speed freak = I honestly want to drive within the law - being caught unawares is what angers me. my teenage rebel days are long since gone!

21 hours ago, geraint said:

I think that the principle of law means that legislation commencing on 1 July is the law regardless of signage showing other speeds. its not that I'm a speed freak = I honestly want to drive within the law - being caught unawares is what angers me. my teenage rebel days are long since gone!

Quite correct. But as I understand it , the change in speed limit will not necessarily apply to all roads tha currently have a 90 kph limit, although I may be wrong. How a motorist is supposed to know whether he is on an affected stretch or not has note been mentioned.