Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Scots Guards - Pte 11324 Beattie MM

David Lea

Good Morning

I am helping a friend research his Uncle, Pte 11324 Charles Beattie of 2nd Bn Scots Guards.

I'm lucky that his service record and MIC is on Ancestry which I've downloaded.

Charles was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field which was announced in the Third Supplement of the London Gazette 21st December 1916 (of which I have a copy).

I've attached an excerpt from his service record which appears to mention 'Auchy' alongside the reference to his MM.

I am trying to find out details (if they exist) of what Charles did to be awarded the MM? can I presume this was connected to Auchy? Would details of the action be include in the battalion war diary and if so, can anyone give me any ideas on how to go about searching this without a specific date?

Any help or assistance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

David

Screenshot (3).png

Hi,

IMHO your Auchy is actually an abbreviation Auth for Authority ie Authority for the award is in the supplement to London Gazette 21.12.1916.

War Diaries are on Ancestry but I don’t believe that are available under the current free weekend access.

Steve

PS

IIRC Scots Guards Attestation books are on either Ancestry or FMP.

Edited by tullybrone

1 minute ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

They are,

Graeme

Thanks for the clarification Graeme.

Steve

Nothing to add re the Scots Guards attestation books on FMP than what is known above.

the usual thing to do re MM’s is to search in the War Diaries - from about 3 months before the LG entry - and see if the recipient is named within the diary.

so you’ll need the 2nd Btn Scots Guards WD from, for arguments sake, August 1916 through to December 1916.

you may be lucky and see him named.

Edited by wandererpaul

Thank you all for your comments and useful suggestions.

I've managed to find the War Diaries for 2 Battalion Scots Guards now on Ancestry... I've looked through several months and there is no mention of Charles Beattie nor any other non-officer person for that matter. Perhaps MM recipients just weren't mentioned? 

If they aren't mentioned in the battalion war diaries, is it likely the details of the conduct leading upto the award of a MM would be recorded elsewhere?

I'm going to look through them all again just in case they are recorded in an addendum of some description but it's not looking likely unfortunately.

Thank you

David

I believe this is your man.

From Dundee Courier 24 October 1916 page 4.

Beattie.JPG

The first snippet refers to Charles Beattie joining the Scots Guards (from; Montrose, Arbroath and Brechin review; and Forfar and Kincardineshire advertiser. 02 October 1914 - page 5)

Beattie 3.JPG

The second snippet is another piece in Charles Beattie being awarded the Military Medal. (Linlithgowshire Gazette 27 October 1916 - page 3)

Beattie 2.JPG

Edited by wandererpaul

Not a problem. Certainly adds to his story.

if it was reported at end of October 1916 then the action may be around the beginning of October or end of September? December was the LG notice. Maybe a mention of a soldier bringing wounded back from an action in the war diary?

paul

I've looked through the Battalion War Diary too, agree no mention. I also looked through the HQ 3rd Guards Div. War Diary, again no mention of awards.

However, after reading both diaries, the month of September 1916 is the most likley for this man to be awarded the MM, in my opinion (and it's only that, my opinion).

There were several battles during the month with many casualties. The two extracts are from the HQ WD. These show the killed, wounded and missing for September 1916 for the Guards battalions in the 3rd Division.

It doesn't pin down the actual action but, in my opinion, it's probably the closest you'll get to the actual action he won his MM for.

Paul

Page 1 HQ 3rd Guards Div.JPG

Page 2 HQ 3rd Guards Div.JPG

Definitely, thanks Paul.

I'll read though the diaries again in case I missed something, they make interesting reading anyway but I don't think they mentioned individual actions like this or mentioned non-officers my name. I had thought they would have included it but if not, I still have the newspaper articles to fall back on with brief details of his actions.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Just seen your latest post Paul with the casualty details... thank you... they obviously had an horrendous time, so many killed and injured. As you say, we may never know but yes, from the timing of the articles and nature of the battles at this time, I'd agree that it was most likely around this time.

I've found more out about him than I expected, so I'm grateful.

He actually survived the war and lived until 1963.

Thanks again for your help and interest.

David

I’ve had a good look through my copy of “Till the Trumpet Sounds Again” (The Scots Guards 1914-1919 in Their Own words) and I can’t find any mention of Charles Beattie. Judging be the general consensus that September 1916 is the most likely month he was awarded the MM, there is very little said. There is one line on page 79 that merely states “A considerable number of MM winners were published in the London  Gazette on 27 October.” A further flick through to page 140 finds us at 9th January 1917 where “Right Flank were the representive company when General Fielding presented medal ribbons to Guards Division recipients at the parade at Ville-sur-Ancre, men from the Battalion present having won one DCM and fifteen MMs” 

Perhaps Charles was there. Hope this helps. 

Ewan