Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Madeley Tank Corps #315292

dgibson150

I came across the above soldier on the medal rolls of the Tank Corps where it was noted that he died of sickness on 27 November 1918. The Register of Soldiers Effects state merely that he died  at the Training and Reinforcement Depot, Tank Corps with a war gratuity of £3. He is not included on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records nor in Soldiers Died in the Great War. What circumstances could explain the omission from the CWGC?

David

Without looking at the effects register- War gratuity of £3 would indicate he had 12 months or less service at the time of his death. If he had no overseas service it also indicates that he had at least 6 months minimum service.

Craig

You were right IPT. The slip of paper is from the service record of Gilbert White, #91809 Tank Corps and shows that Pte H Madeley was admitted to 7 Canadian General Hospital, Dang.Ill on 26 November 1918.

Thanks also Craig. The War Gratuity was of the Type 1 sort, but if I understand it right, I don't think it alters the conclusion much.

David

Thanks also Craig. The War Gratuity was of the Type 1 sort, but if I understand it right, I don't think it alters the conclusion much.

I assumed it was a Type 1 based on the amount - if it was a Type 2 with £3 I'd very interested to see. Doesn't alter the conclusions in my earlier post though other than you can forget about the 6 months minimum period, as he died in France that doesn't apply.

What is odd is that it's quite late to be a Type 1, it should be a Type 2 by that point. I'd suspect that it went through as a  Type 1 as the service gratuity had been paid out for some reason and  it had to be put through as a Type 1 to correct the amounts.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252