Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clean Air Sticker (Crit'Air) advice needed

stu

Can anyone please help me, as I haven't driven in France since the introduction of the Clean Air Sticker scheme and shall be driving to the Somme on a weekend, will I be required to get a sticker ?

I imagine the only city I shall possibly drive through might be Arras, but I may avoid doing this altogether anyway.

Many thanks

Stuart

We still haven't got one , back over in 3 weeks. We travel around a lot of countryside between Albert and Lens as well as from Calais Boulogne to Abbeville. To be honest we have probably only seen a handful of gendarmes in the last year and they probably wouldn't know what to do,especially UK cars. arras and Bethune no sign and having checked a few cars in Carrefour couldn't say we saw that many stickers.

I can't quite remember the process, as I got mine a year ago, but it is remarkably easy (all done on the internet), costs a small amount and the service was speedy - I seem to recall that I got mine back within five working days.

Here's the thread from last year 

When I went over last summer, I too found very few cars with stickers on (and a proportion of those were British).  The process is comparatively painless, and costs little, if you want to play safe.  

Clive

It can all be done on line, and costs about 4E. I think that it is only relevant to Paris, though the other major cities will embark on the same scheme shortly. At the moment, I think it applies to within the  Boulevard Peripherique, though that may have changed to other Parisian areas. Unless you intend to go on the BP I don't think that you need one. I always go to the Limousin through Paris, and have twice seen restrictions flashed up on the pre-Paris motorway electronic matrix signs stating restricted colours. Non of my Limousin neighbours were even aware of this - apart for one who is a Parisian.

Storm in a tasse de the; je pense!

I am going over towards the end of March and have been looking into the situation. I could not find a list of cities affected on the Crit'Air website; most helpful!

UK websites mention Paris, grenoble and other southern cities. Evidently Lille is considering introducing the system but just when polution is particulalry bad.

I am going to Ypres and Arras, neither of their tourist websites mention any Crit'Air requirements.

Bob

I have to say that it really is a very easy process - it took me maybe ten minutes (five mins of that to do some scanning!) and all done and dusted; in fact just as well, as I happened to be going through Grenoble just after they bought it in as compulsory (not that I was stopped).

8 hours ago, stu said:

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

As soon as I can find my vehicle log book I think I'll play safe and get one !

Stuart

Probably the best thing to do (I have one) but I have yet to meet any Frenchman who has one.

The last thing one needs as an out of towner is trouble with the local constabulary. Better play it safe & get the sticker because as we all know if it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong.

Just to point out that Ypres (Ieper?) is not in France, so I would presume this sticker will not do much of anything there? [Unless they have some sort of cross-border scheme].

8 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

Just to point out that Ypres (Ieper?) is not in France, so I would presume this sticker will not do much of anything there? [Unless they have some sort of cross-border scheme].

They don't.