Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W.A.A.C Hospital at Harrowby Camp

Dean Mason

I have recently discovered that my Grandmother was born at the W.A.A.C hospital at the Harrowby Camp, Grantham in October 1918. Her mother was a cook on the site. 

However, due to the mysteries of time, we have no record of the Father other than a surname although it remains blank on the birth certificate. I know that Harrowby was largely used as a training base for the Machine Gun Corps around this time but wondered if there is likely to be any records kept of who may have attended Harrowby towards the early part of 1918 or whether the site was used for other purposes by this date.

Any pointers would be massively appreciated.

Kind regards

I know that Harrowby was largely used as a training base for the Machine Gun Corps around this time but wondered if there is likely to be any records kept of who may have attended Harrowby towards the early part of 1918 or whether the site was used for other purposes by this date.

You're pretty much out of luck with this - the MGC records have been through two lots of fires so the vast majority of what did exist is long since destroyed.

What is the surname ? (hope it's not smith or jones...)

Craig

2 minutes ago, Dean Mason said:

Thanks Craig, it looks like the family mystery will continue. The surname is Edbrooke so not that common.

Something might comes out of it from the name but it's certainly a long shot with the remaining records.

EDIT:
There was a Reginald W Edbrooke of the MGC but after that, is it your man ? very difficult to say.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

1 minute ago, Dean Mason said:

Any clue as to where I can start my search?

Short of looking around Ancestry or Find My Past there's not a lot but see my edit to the last post. There's something else I'll look at for that man just in case but still a long shot.

Craig

I was hoping that the number for Reginald Edbrooke (#84331 ) might give some clues but looking at other men. #84336 was allocated 5 Feb 1917 so it's not likely that he was still in training at the time - that's not to say that there wasn't some reason why he was in the area, just that we can likely not say for certain. The problem you have is that unless a man had died and/or served overseas there is generally little record of military service, and that's before the two fires which affected the MGC records.

Craig