Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Buffnut453

Book "Stretcher Bearer" by Charles Horton - anyone read it?

Buffnut453

Charles Horton's book "Stretcher Bearer" came up as a recommendation for me because I recently bought Emily Mayhew's "Wounded". 

As a first-hand account, it seems like it should provide some fascinating insights but I'd like to know (a) what unit(s) Horton served in, and (b) what thoughts the GWF cognoscenti might have about the book?

Any thoughts/comments would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Mark

Edited by Buffnut453

seaJane

Hi Mark,

I haven't read it but there are some mentions in the "Books and Book Reviews" sub-forum of that title by Charles Horton. If you use the search option, or start a new thread in that sub-forum, you might pick up some other answers

Best wishes,

sJ

Buffnut453

Hi sJ,

I tried searching and only found one reference which just said "it's a good read and goes from Ypres to Italy" (paraphrasing just a wee bit).  I'll start another thread over on the Books and Book Reviews section just in case it generates some additional comments.

Many thanks,
Mark

Black Maria

There are 40 mixed reviews on Amazon ( UK ) , mostly positive although some say it lacks detail . I think the memoirs /diaries published

since the centenary have been a very mixed bag , had a quick 'look inside' on the Amazon page for this book and I don't think it's one I

would bother with personally .

BIFFO

is it called the long carry ?

:poppy: