Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

305711 Sergeant George Mead 14th Royal Tank Corps/

flump44

4835 Private George Mead, served in the Boer War in 2nd Bedfordshire Regiment for which I have some service records.

He also served in 14th Royal Tank Corps during WW1,  305711, Sergeant George Mead.  The only information I have been able to find is, as shown, from Absent Voters List 1918.  1919 gave no regiment.  He was born in 1875, so would be 43 in 1819.  No medal card, so assume he was home service.

I wonder if anybody might be able to help with any further information.

Many thanks

Judy

Judy

From his service number George must have joined the Tank Corps around January 1918. On the medal rolls, adjacent service number soldiers are from a variety of regiments, with not many numbers missing from the sequential order, so his case is a bit unusual. Might I ask how you know his service number and Battalion?

David

Hello David....thanks for your reply.   You have confirmed what I thought, that he must have joined in January 1918.

I have a photograph of my great-uncle George Mead in uniform and had found as much as I could about his service in the Boer War.  But there was no evidence that he was a sergeant and in the photograph he had stripes.  So it set me looking for further service, probably in WW1.  I have not been able to find anything until yesterday when I came across his name in the Absent Voters List, which gave the information as I have given.  Image attached.

Judy

Absent voters list 1918 44476_1831109388_2894_00025 (1).jpg

Judy

Thanks for clarifying your original post. I had a look at the relevant electoral rolls. It's a bit irritating that the effective dates of the electoral rolls are not stipulated.

I think the best I can do is to post the UK part of the 14th Bn war history which covers the time when George probably joined. 

Why he did not go to France in June 1918 is anyone's guess. Maybe he was unsuitable or, more likely, he was needed to train future Battalions.

David

build-up training.pdf

Edited by dgibson150

I don't think that the pdf upload has worked (yet again). If you send me a message with your e-mail address, I will e-mail it to you.

David

Trying again

build-up training.pdf

Edited by dgibson150
trying to upload file again.

David, thank you.  I opened the document no problem.

As you say, I think it is likely he was training soldiers.  He was 43 years old and had already spent 16 years in the army from 1894 to 1910, including 3 year Boer War.  

My grandfather, George's brother, having earlier spent some year in the army, although not sent to SA, was a sergeant, training  men during  WW1.

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

Judy