Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Robert Lewers Keown

George Millar

Hello,

Perhaps this subject has been discussed before; if so please forward me to the relevant posts.  I’m doing some research on Lieut Robert Lewers Keown, RAMC who was born on the 9th October 1887 in Co Monaghan to parents James Keown and Mary Holland.  By 1911 he had passed his medical studies and became a Medical Practitioner living at 84 Palatinate Buildings, Rodney Place, London.  In late 1913 he married Olga Irene Fredrikke Jensen in London and when war broke out he enlisted and was made a Temporary Lieutenant in the RAMC on the 10th November 1915 (14th Dec 1915 edition of the London Gazette).  He later went to France disembarking on the 30th November 1915.  He survived the war but in 1924 he applied for divorce from his wife who had been having an affair with a Robert Henry Guy Balten.  He died on the 27th September 1925 and his address was listed as 1 Askew Road, Shepherds Bush, London.

I have searched the National Archives for his Service records to give me some idea of his service in WW1 but haven’t been able to find any record of them.  This is the second RAMC officer whose records I haven’t been able to find.  Do the National Archives hold records for RAMC officers or are the records held elsewhere?  If they are held elsewhere how do I go about obtaining a copy of them?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

I have searched the National Archives for his Service records to give me some idea of his service in WW1 but haven’t been able to find any record of them.  This is the second RAMC officer whose records I haven’t been able to find.  Do the National Archives hold records for RAMC officers or are the records held elsewhere?  If they are held elsewhere how do I go about obtaining a copy of them?  Any information would be appreciated.

Something in the back of my mind says that the temporary MO service records were scrapped after the war. Someone else may be able to confirm if that is the case.

Craig

I think not given that he died in 1925? I may be wrong.

• Admin

The cut off for records being kept by the MOD is I think 1922, given that he would have been 38 on his death in 1925 he may have stayed in. But I would explore all other avenues before paying the MOD fee to discover he didn't!

Hi David & SeaJane,

Thanks for the replies.  I don't believe that he remained in the Army after the end of WW1 but I could be wrong.  I have an electoral register record of him living at Delhi Lodge, Askew Road, London in 1920 and he is listed as being a doctor so I presumed that he re-started practicing medicine again in London.  There is also one for 1922 at the same address.

George

In 1920 he is listed as a Physician Surgeon living at 84 Rodney Place London. 1925 at 1 Askew Road, Shepherds Bush London and he died 27 September 1925 leaving effects valued at £6391. 0s 4d.  All the info off Ancestry.

It is believed that Temporary Medical Officers files were weeded and destroyed sometime between the wars.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info.   After Robert Lewers death in 1925 he probate of his will was left to his brother Albert Edward Keown who was also a doctor.  From 1926 after Robert's death Albert Edward and his sister Elizabeth (Elsie) Donaldson (Nee keown) lived at Delhi Lodge in Askew Road.  Albert Edward lived at that address until 1960 and he moved to 9 Mill Park Avenue, Hornchurch, later dying in 1968.

Thanks for the info on the Temporary Medical Officers files, It looks like Robert Lewers war service will remain a mystery.

George