Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Somerset Light Infantry War Diary

TomW

I have a copy of the history of the SLI at home, if you don't get a response before I get home a take a look for you

Rds

Sajackr

TomW,

I have checked the history for the 7th Bn for the date requested and I am afraid there is no mention of them. The last mention of them was on the 16th during the battle of FLERS-COURCELETTE and the last thing noted is:

"10 Officers and about 162 other ranks were the casualties suffered by the Battalion on the 16th. Major E.L. LYON died of his wounds at Corbie. Not again throughout the remainder of the month were the 7th Somerset's involved in any attack on or by the enemy".

R'ds

Sajackr

7th diary

Andy

43112_2127_0-00069.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 1 month later...

Sajackr, was your Great Grandfather with the 7th SLI re MGC.

bsears. He was with the 8th but I don't think he saw action with them before transferring to MGC. why do you ask?

Sajackr

• 7 months later...

My Great Grandfather Frank William Hadden was also a member of the 7th Battalion of the Somerset L.I.  #11593. He was 51 when he enlisted, triple the age of others?  

Can anyone help me to locate books or records pertaining to the unit?  I don't know how the Battalion was then divided up to follow his path in France or where War diaries for his unit would be located.  He was discharged with Pleurisy on 30 Sept 2016.  

If there is a photograph available of his unit, it would be wonderful as well.  I have attached a photo of him.

Lest we forget, Bev in Vancouver379759122_FrankWilliamHadden.jpg.f4d0677a8797975a511adb3ae3b548f1.jpg