Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Avro ? at Imbros

Alan Bentley

I have a picture from my fathers album, Imbros page, of an inverted AVRO? lying in shallow water. The reg .no. is quite clear, 1042.

Dad served with 2 Wing RNAS Imbros from Sept. 1915.

What is this a/c and was did it belong to 2 Wing.?

I also have a picture of C Flight personnel in including Lts. A J Bettington, A B Gaskell, Buss (?) and Harvey, presumably pilots.

Any info on these men would be appreciated.

Edited by Alan Bentley

Be nice to see the picture Alan. Mr Sturtivant's book says this aircraft, 1042, an Avro 504B built in Manchester was shipped out to Imbros from Dover on 5.8.1915 along with 1041 and 1043 on board SS Nankin.  Initially used by 3 Wing from Imbros it had transferred to 2 Wing by 4.11.1915.

It overturned in the lagoon on returning from a bombing raid on the narrows 4.12.1915 Major H Fawcett RM and Lt W D Jones RM were both unhurt.   

It was obviously then repaired as it overturned, again in the salt lake, on take off 9.2.1916, once again Major H Fawcett escaped injury but the plane was deleted in March 1916.

I will trawl through the Operations Reports and see if I can find any more information on the plane or the other pilots you mention.  There is plenty of interest on matters aviation in the Aegean so others will no doubt turn up to help on this forum.

TH

Is this the photo to which you referred Alan? I am not sure on which occasion this was taken but possibly 1915, others may know for certain.

On second thoughts it is more likely 1916 as the crash occurred on take off and the bombs are apparently still on board!

TH

1042.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

That is almost identical except that the Airman is on the lower wing with no bombs in sight. On the back it says "8-12-15 Lagoon Imbros"

Thanks for the very helpful info

Edited by Alan Bentley
Date missing

Hi Alan, 

• Aylmer Fitzwarrine Bettington
  • Arthur Bruce Gaskell (note also T/FSL Holbrook Lance Gaskell, 2 Wing from Dec 1916, KIA 2.5.1917 - no relation)
  • Horace Austin Buss
  • Harvey – don't know!

Have you seen these articles in Cross and Cockade? Great photos and info.

The War Diary of a NAVAL AIRMAN 1915-1918
Captain Augustine Francis Marlowe
via P.G. Cooksley
Cross & Cockade International 21/2 2003

SONS OF THE AIR by Peter Wright
"It is not often that one has to go back in history to the years before the Boer War, to introduce the story of a family with aviation connections on the scale of the Bettingtons."
Cross & Cockade International 34/1 2003

FROM THE ALBUM OF A PETTY OFFICER PHOTOGRAPHIC AIR MECHANIC
F5533 WILLIAM 'BILL' POLLARD
Edited by Mick Davis
Cross & Cockade International 38/2 2007
Cross & Cockade International 38/3 2007

FSL Philip Kenning Fowler
His Service in the Aegean
by Paschalis Palavouzis
Cross & Cockade International 44 Spring 2013

Thanks very much for the info. I am in the process of joining Cross and Cockade.

The rest of "C" Flight" are Crabtree, Knowles, KIngaby, Spencer,Stewart, Makin. Good.

Peacock (Dad), Clements, Mathews, King, Thomas, Carder (r or n), Cripps.All with no initials or rank.

C.P.O. Shipperbottom, Lt. A F Bettington, Lt. A B Gaskell, Lt. Buss, S. Lt Harvey, C P O Parsons.

Sorry, I gave Harvey a promotion in the first posting. I believe that Carder was later wounded in action

Harvey should read L E Hervey.

Edited by Alan Bentley
More info

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:07, Alan Bentley said:

Thanks very much for the info. I am in the process of joining Cross and Cockade.

The rest of "C" Flight" are Crabtree, Knowles, KIngaby, Spencer,Stewart, Makin. Good.

Peacock (Dad), Clements, Mathews, King, Thomas, Carder (r or n), Cripps.All with no initials or rank.

C.P.O. Shipperbottom, Lt. A F Bellington, Lt. A B Gaskell, Lt. Buss, S. Lt Harvey, C P O Parsons.

Sorry, I gave Harvey a promotion in the first posting. I believe that Carder was later wounded in action

Harvey should read L E Hervey.

Alan, It's always good to hear from someone whose interests include events in the Aegean.  May I inquire of your father's initials and rank? 

As to your membership of Cross and Cockade, there is, as b3rn points out, plenty of information available from the society for you to hopefully gather more information regarding your father's service history.  Good to have you on board!

Peter.

My father was H.J. (F287)He joined the RNAS 5th Sept 1914 as Air Mech 1 Grade (Fitter). Posted to the Aegean April 1915 with 2 Wing "C" Flight.

Left in mid 1917,then after 4 months at Crystal Palace, was posted to RNAS Mullion. Subsequently in the RAF until 1939.

As was normal he never spoke of his service, but I now have his photo album. I now suspect that many of the photos in the album were the work of CPO Pollard.

If possible I would be grateful for any info on his Unit.

Thanks for the information Alan.  Your father was certainly an early recruit with such a low number.  If you haven't already got his service record It should be quite straightforward to obtain it from TNA via this link:   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6799435

You could well be correct with your assumption regarding the provenance of the photos in your dad's album -  'Bill' Pollard recorded many events for posterity during his time in the Aegean.

Edited by pete-c

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:11, Alan Bentley said:

My father was H.J. (F287)He joined the RNAS 5th Sept 1914 as Air Mech 1 Grade (Fitter). Posted to the Aegean April 1915 with 2 Wing "C" Flight.

Left in mid 1917,then after 4 months at Crystal Palace, was posted to RNAS Mullion. Subsequently in the RAF until 1939.

As was normal he never spoke of his service, but I now have his photo album. I now suspect that many of the photos in the album were the work of CPO Pollard.

If possible I would be grateful for any info on his Unit.

Hi Alan.  Re information about your father's unit.  

According to William 'Bill' Pollard's diary, 2 Wing arrived on Imbros on September 22 1915.  It more than likely arrived at Mudros, on the Island of Lemnos, the previous month.  Its main task was to assist Army ground operations at Gallipoli.  Following the evacuation it was tasked with the continuing surveillance of the Gallipoli Peninsula and the Dardanelles.   It continued with this task, its aircraft flying from the airfield at Kephalo, until October 1917, when it was forced to move to an airfield further north on Imbros as the enemy began targeting the Kephalo area.  So it would seem that your dad served most of his time in the Aegean on Imbros.

I have a personal interest in the 'other ranks' as my grandfather was part of the RNAS compliment on HMS Ark Royal; his task being to service her aircraft while she was moored at Imbros circa 1915/16.

Is there perhaps a chance of you posting the photo of 'C' Flight of the Forum?   It would be great to see it as it is so unusual for other ranks to be named in photos and, I may also be able to put names to faces in some of my granddad's photos.   There is a photo of the men of 'C' Flight dated 28 November 1915, in CCI Vol 34/1 - this may well be the photo you have. 

Having just checked the names in your #6 post, against the number of personnel featured in the above photo  -  your dad, 2nd row far left?  -  I do believe that this is the same photo.

Edited by pete-c
Corrections and additional information.

Yes that is the same picture. My dad also is in the picture of the dud Turkish bomb, he is the one in the middle.

He died in 1959, but right up until his death he attended the Ark Royal reunions. He had a flight in a helicopter from shore to the then Ark Royal, date I cant remember. He remarked "very noisy"

I also have a picture , which unfortunately has been cropped, but the names are;--thn.Barney, Peacock, Gardner, Sears, Carden, Cripps, Parsons, Hargreaves, Stewart (or d), , Shipperbottom, 

Good, Brown, Stewart, Tobin, Gransh (?)

Will try to post it.

P.S .Posted below

Edited by Alan Bentley

Unfortunately I have no idea if my grandfather ever attended Ark Royal reunions - he died in 1938 when my father was only 15.  I'd like to think that he did, and It's good to know that they were still being held in 1959.   I wonder when the last one was?   Looking forward to seeing the other photo.

Peter

They were still going in 1965!  See the attached letter, a list of attendees covering three pages came with it if you're interested. They must have been thinning out a bit by then bless them.

Tony

RNAS 2 Wing Reunion 1965.JPG

5a9685724edd5_Imbros1001.jpg.ba4806111cffa16d18dff2d6dcd29a7c.jpg

It looks like this was taken from a plate. On the back are just the names ,no indication of place, but it must be Imbros

16 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Peter

They were still going in 1965!  See the attached letter, a list of attendees covering three pages came with it if you're interested. They must have been thinning out a bit by then bless them.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Great to see this!  Definitely like to see the list of names.  Yes, I suppose most of them would have been over 65 by then  -  crikey, I'm almost there myself!!

Wonderful pictures Alan - many thanks for posting them.  The first one is taken in front of one of the Avro 504s - 1040, 41, 42 or 43.

Edited by pete-c

At  the Ark Royal  RNAS reunion/ ship visit, were  in July 1957, A Ayton, A F Brennan, A K Caunt, A G Furlong, F Graham, C A Jenner, G Mackness- Pettit, W/Cdr W R Parkhouse, F E Richards, A R Tyler, F D H Bremner, D Buckham, J E Eastwood, S W Gorman, F F Harknett, J Kimberly, C E Milward, H J Peacock (Dad) ,A H R Taylor, L H Wilkinson.

Apart from Dad, I know nothing about these fellers, but some of them must be RNAS veterans.

Fantastic photos, thanks Alan.

Pete, Tony - do you have a list of 2 and 3 Wing men? I am starting to compile a list but thought you might already have something.

Alan,

The first name that I am familiar with is WR 'Bill' Parkhouse, F8692, as I wrote an article on him, published in CCI Vol45/2.   Bill took his Trade Test in early 1915 and was graded Leading Mechanic.   He joined Ark Royal a couple of months after my grandfather and was put in charge of the metal working machine shop.   He went on to become a pilot during the final year of the war and was obviously rated highly enough to be recommended as an instructor.  After the war he was instrumental in bringing private flying to the west-country, setting up an airfield at Haldon and in 1938 was appointed manager of the newly set up Exeter Airport.

The second is FDH 'Bunny' Bremner - always fairly easy to spot in photos due to his height - 6'4" I believe.  How he ever got into a Bristol Scout I do not know!  His grandsons David and Rick, along with their friend Theo, finished constructing a replica Bristol Scout a couple of years back, the machine incorporating a rudder bar, stick and magneto that Bunny had kept after the war - to be discovered by his family only after his death.   If you Google 'Bremner Scout' you can read the full story.

None of the other names ring any bells but I'll keep checking to see if I can find anything on them.

20 minutes ago, b3rn said:

Pete, Tony - do you have a list of 2 and 3 Wing men? I am starting to compile a list but thought you might already have something.

Hi Bern,

I have been trying to collate a list of 2 Wing personnel myself but, sorry to say, have not got very far.

15 hours ago, b3rn said:

Hello b3rn,  Like Peter I do not have a list of 2 Wing Men, only those who appear in the RNAS reports in Kew and in the photos left by my Great Uncle, who was an A Flight man, and any others who I come across in research. Many of his annotated photos only have surnames and he wasn't the best of spellers so a bit unreliable and difficult to research.  Of course you can always go through the Navy Lists , the attached is Oct 1916

Tony

1916 Oct.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

The crash shows a "1 1/2 Strutter Sopwith, soft ground Thasos". No date.

Below is what looks like "Flt. Sub . Lt. Magar" or could be Magan.

In the Scout picture , that could be my father on the extreme left.

Thasos 4 001.jpg

Edited by Alan Bentley

Alan,

The first image is of Scout '3040', 80hp Le Rhone engine, shipped to the Dardanelles December 1915.  It was with 'C' Flight, 'A' Squadron, 2 Wing by 29.4.16 until end August 1916.

Can you make out the serial of the Strutter?  Might be able to identify it if its legible.