Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major James Wightman, DSO, MC - no service number

Where's Drago?

Morning all, 

I'm looking at finding some very basic information : Jim Wightman's service number. 

Why would this be missing? 

Here's his CWGC entry: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/72415/wightman,-james/#&gid=null&pid=2

I've written fairly extensively on Wightman, as he was also my local football club's first captain. Wightman started life as a Private in 'an Irish regiment' before transferring to the East Surreys, and took part in the Surrey's famous Football Charge on 1 July 1916. He was awarded the Military Cross, and was promoted to Major by the time he was sniped in April 1918.

But, for some reason, I'm missing his service number.

I'm trying to complete his 'lives of WW1 entry on the IWM site: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4740304

Where have I forgotten to search?

Thanks for any assistance!

Jason

Hi Jason,

WW1 commissioned officers did not have service numbers--just a rank.  However you may be thinking of WW2 officers who did have a service number.

Robert

Edited by Old Owl

18 minutes ago, Where's Drago? said:

Morning all, 

I'm looking at finding some very basic information : Jim Wightman's service number. 

Why would this be missing? 

Here's his CWGC entry: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/72415/wightman,-james/#&gid=null&pid=2

I've written fairly extensively on Wightman, as he was also my local football club's first captain. Wightman started life as a Private in 'an Irish regiment' before transferring to the East Surreys, and took part in the Surrey's famous Football Charge on 1 July 1916. He was awarded the Military Cross, and was promoted to Major by the time he was sniped in April 1918.

But, for some reason, I'm missing his service number.

I'm trying to complete his 'lives of WW1 entry on the IWM site: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4740304

Where have I forgotten to search?

Thanks for any assistance!

Jason

Prior to being commissioned he had a service number as a ranker, is it this information you're after.

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

Prior to being commissioned he had a service number as a ranker, is it this information you're after.

Craig

This should be on his medal index card - and the medal roll itself.

Ron

5 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

This should be on his medal index card - and the medal roll itself.

Ron

From a quick look around it appears he never served overseas in the ranks.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

His war gratuity was £6 (net), £8 (gross) - if his rank when he was commissioned, and the date of commission, can be established then the length of service in the ranks can be established from this if needed.

His medal index card also shows that he was a Lt Col at some point (acting up from Major ?)

Craig

Thanks! I've just downloaded his medal index cards and it's thrown up a few more avenues of research - different regiments I never knew he served in: 'R.S. Fus' and 'Yorks L.G.' What's 'Sco Ref'? Totally lost now, ha-ha. I'm a newbie, that's my excuse.

5 minutes ago, Where's Drago? said:

Thanks! I've just downloaded his medal index cards and it's thrown up a few more avenues of research - different regiments I never knew he served in: 'R.S. Fus' and 'Yorks L.G.' What's 'Sco Ref'? Totally lost now, ha-ha. I'm a newbie, that's my excuse.

Can you link to the cards please.

The only card I could see shows only East Surreys - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A001676-02130?pid=5660673&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DNdj786%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3DMedalRolls%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26gsfn%3Djames%26gsfn_x%3DNP%26gsln%3Dwightman%26gsln_x%3D0%26MSAV%3D1%26uidh%3Dyvc%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D8%26h%3D5660673%26recoff%3D9%2010%26ml_rpos%3D9&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ndj786&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

The OP maybe confusing the man with several MICs, all James Wightman, which are different servicemen.

Okay, I see what's happened. I've paid for 6 James Wightman's medal cards, ha-ha. That's fine. Certainly not the nice colour copy you've shown up above though with the address included as well. 

12 minutes ago, Where's Drago? said:

Okay, I see what's happened. I've paid for 6 James Wightman's medal cards, ha-ha. That's fine. Certainly not the nice colour copy you've shown up above though with the address included as well. 

The double sided, colour, medal index cards are free on Ancestry - you just need to register a free account.

Craig

The file at Kew is your best bet.

If I get a chance later in the week, as I’m only just back from a month in Thailand on a family holiday, maybe this Friday, I’ll see if I can get to Kew to take a look. I only live 5 minutes away in Brentford, which is handy!

I’ve a couple of files I need to look at anyway.

paul

21 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

The file at Kew is your best bet.

If I get a chance later in the week, as I’m only just back from a month in Thailand on a family holiday, maybe this Friday, I’ll see if I can get to Kew to take a look. I only live 5 minutes away in Brentford, which is handy!

I’ve a couple of files I need to look at anyway.

paul

Wow, really appreciate this, that'd be terrific, thank you. 

Hi Jason,

4 hours ago, Where's Drago? said:

...I'm missing his service number...

It's not quite the same thing, but if you were interested his officer admin number appears to have been 6092 - see p22/26 of this free download.

If you don't already have them his MC index card is on p2301/2426 of the free download, and the annotated citation on p129/194 of this free download. His DSO was a  1918 Kings Birthday Honours award, with no specific citation - see p78/268 of this free download.

Regards

Chris

Chris, this is brilliant - I really appreciate the effort you've put into detailing these for me. I would never have found them, frankly! 

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

No problem. If you did need any help, in the record that gives his officer admin number, in the column where it shows X number/Y number the record keepers were using archaic references to X battalion/ Y regiment of foot. Google the regiment of foot, and look at the timeline. I haven't gone back to look at the entry, but I think that it gave me 10th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.

Regards

Chris

At Kew looking through his file.

There is little in the file of any previous service.

one notation of; “Lce Sergt J Wightman of 2nd (reserve) Battalion Irish Guards has been appointed to a Temp. Second Lieutenant in the New Army.”

no regimental number shown for his service in the Irish Guards. He joined the Guards on 21/9/1914.

He was posted to the 10th Battalion East Surrey Regiment as Temp 2nd Lt.

dated 11 June 1915.

His officer admin number was, as mentioned above, 6092.

I have a complete photographic copy of his file. If needed then pm me your email address, I’ll send you a link to download the photos.

paul

Hi Paul, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. This is wonderful. I'll PM you my email address now, thanks.

Jason