Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Queens (West Surrey) company & rank

DanMorris1989

Hi all,

Researching my grandfather G/2346 Pte. Charles Levi Tidbury of the 8th Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.

Is there anyway, without his record of service (presumed destroyed by fire in ww2), of finding out which of the 8th Battalions companies he may have been in?

Also it states on the medal award rolls that he was in theatre 1a (France) with the 8th from 31/08/1915 - 01/01/1918 ... would this have been continuous service abroad or is it likely that he would've come home to Britain at various times throughout.

Also have noticed he was only ever a Private (Rifleman on transfer to the 34/Londons) but marriage phot from early 1918 shows him with L/Cpl chevron ... also WW2 Artillery uniform again shows him with L/Cpl stripe 

Thanks in adance

Dan 

received_10155488020368666.jpeg

Edited by DanMorris1989

Lance-corporal in WW1 was an appointment, rather than a rank - it could be made temporarily, paid or unpaid, and the man's substantive rank remain as Private. As an example, my father's uncle was killed at Gallipoli and his records (and the Helles Memorial) all give him - correctly - as a Private, though his paybook will says at the time of his death he was in fact a Lance-corporal. Basically, a Lance-corporal seems to have been appointed for a particular purpose (perhaps e.g. in response to a temporary shortage of junior NCOs, or the man had shown potential for promotion - or even a commission - and was being tried out with some additional responsibility), but could be easily reverted to the role of private soldier if the circumstances changed; to reduce a man in his substantive rank was a more complicated, disciplinary, procedure.

Your grandfather might have returned to the UK between 31/08/15 and 01/01/18 if he got leave, or if one of the two wounds for which he received a wound stripe were serious enough to lead to his evacuation until he was recovered. I'm no expert, but I believe if he returned to the same battalion there would be no mention of this on his medal rolls of MIC.

Cheers, Pat.

The chevron on his lower left cuff is a good conduct badge, not a lance stripe. It is difficult to tell whether there are stripes on his upper arm.

Ron

There is clearly a single chevron on the left upper sleeve of his tunic.

Two wound stripes on his lower left sleeve. Therefore it’s highly likely this man returned home at some point, although not definitely.

One good conduct stripe on lower left sleeve.

Three chevrons in his lower right sleeve indicates 3 years overseas service.

Whilst serving with 72nd Brigade, 24th Division I would expect a man from 8th Queen's to have on both upper arms , up to early 1918 a green bar, with a coloured diamond above, colour depending on company; and then, after it was moved to 17th Brigade a red bar with coloured diamond above.

Michael