Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

depaor01

• Admin

South Lancashire Regiment 

Michelle 

Ah. That explains it. The group is captioned "A group of Lancs" but the badge is nothing like the Lancashire Regt.

Thanks Michelle. 

Dave

Agreed.  It’s The Prince of Wales’s Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment).

Steve

10 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Ah. That explains it. The group is captioned "A group of Lancs" but the badge is nothing like the Lancashire Regt.

Thanks Michelle. 

Dave

Dave

There was no 'Lancashire Regiment' in the GW: there was an east Lancashire Regiment, a Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) and (as Steve E says) the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) plus a Lancashire Fusiliers ... not to mention several other regiments recruiting in Lancashire

I suppose that without seeing the full image it is just possible that there could be other Lancashire units included within this group photo--hence the blanket reference?

Definitely South Lancs for this lad though--but I am intrigued by the shoulder flash? to the immediate left of the of the lad in question--bottom right of image.  Probably nothing of note but it does have the appearance of something unusual?

Hopefully the OP will be able to enlarge this section?

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Dave

There was no 'Lancashire Regiment' in the GW: there was an east Lancashire Regiment, a Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) and (as Steve E says) the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) plus a Lancashire Fusiliers ... not to mention several other regiments recruiting in Lancashire

Thanks Steven, 

Still living and learning!

Dave 

Here's the full image. It was taken at Tallaght Aerodrome, Dublin and we will be using it in a library exhibition on the aerodrome.

Some things that strike me about the photo:
Most of the men are wearing only one medal ribbon and it looks like a BWM and not a 14/15 star which is what I'd expect for a single ribbon. Could this be because of only Home service?
Overseas chevrons (I think) on view, on the sleeve of a man with one medal ribbon!
Two different cap badges on the women's caps - why?
Crossed rifles and oak leaf surrounding an N. Never seen that before.
Large upward pointing chevron...??

5a8bef672916b_SomeLancscropped.thumb.jpg.04bedfc7306ec299fecc0a9f6864d81e.jpg

Actually the more I look at the pic the more I see!

Any info most welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

[Edit] will try to enlarge the relevant areas... just a mo

Edited by depaor01

Off-topic slightly: is there still an airfield at Tallaght? I have been to the area (I'm pretty sure) with the Blue Cross mobile clinic, which, IIRC, is in the car park of a Dunne's store, across the road from Shamrock Rovers' ground.

No longer there I'm afraid. Your location is nearby where it used to be.

After independence it became a barracks for the Free State Army, and Urney's chocolate factory after that. A Luftwaffe aerial photograph of the site exists from WW2 when it was a chocolate factory :rolleyes:

Some pics here:

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/simple-search?query="tallaght+aerodrome"&submit=Go

It's now a retail park. Ironically the exact site of the Officer's Mess is now a Burger King!

Dave

OK, can we get back on topic now please.

Keith Roberts

4th Reserve Bn PoWV (SLR) absorbed 5th Reserve Bn 1/9/16 at Oswestry and to Dublin April 1918. That ties in with the RAF badge on the young lady.

8 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Some things that strike me about the photo:
Most of the men are wearing only one medal ribbon and it looks like a BWM and not a 14/15 star which is what I'd expect for a single ribbon. Could this be because of only Home service?

7 hours ago, depaor01 said:

l_girls.jpg.6013b1f5875cf149b2b28dee18fd3d6a.jpg

In this shot you can clearly see one person viewers back left with the ribbon of the 1914 or 1914-15 Star, then only the BWM. Since this combination was never awarded without the VM, it's probably a safe bet this picture was taken circa mid-1919 (after the Stars and BWM had been created, but before the VM had come into effect).

27 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

In this shot you can clearly see one person viewers back left with the ribbon of the 1914 or 1914-15 Star, then only the BWM. Since this combination was never awarded without the VM, it's probably a safe bet this picture was taken circa mid-1919 (after the Stars and BWM had been created, but before the VM had come into effect).

Interesting. I feel like a total noob now So bear with me.  How did full wear of medals look in the period between star and Victory? Someone entitled to a full set would start with a single star then some time later get their BWM and later again their Victory.

Did they have to be mounted in a single then a double then a trio medal mounting bar?

In the case of the chap pictured when the recipient was only wearing ribbons presumably he would discard the ribbon bar he's wearing and later acquire one with a Victory?

Dave

12 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Interesting. I feel like a total noob now So bear with me.  How did full wear of medals look in the period between star and Victory? Someone entitled to a full set would start with a single star then some time later get their BWM and later again their Victory.

Did they have to be mounted in a single then a double then a trio medal mounting bar?

Basically yes. 1914 Star ribbon was effectively on issue (alone) from early 1918. 1914-15 Star ribbon from early 1919. The BWM was approved in July 1919, the VM in September. So as supplies of ribbon became available for the different medals, those who were entitled to them would add it as and when.

Edited by Andrew Upton

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2018 at 10:25, depaor01 said:

l_flash.jpg.4581127821610bb875bfedbcd48495c2.jpgl_girls.jpg.6013b1f5875cf149b2b28dee18fd3d6a.jpgl_n.jpg.3e4b35d51bd42285eb471d33ac5e0571.jpgl_lanyard.jpg.d3df29f39c2615c46111b26d188ed312.jpgl_chev.jpg.56fb9d0a0ba85b578d48a7846f42264e.jpgl_single.jpg.1757467a18fa9d24cb4fc933567f9935.jpgl_sleeve.jpg.d5e0ea7efc4a6dc520422242d18a3e0f.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

I am a little intrigued by the badge worn by the young lady on the left which looks more like an RNAS type badge rather than the more normal RAF badge worn by the young lady on the right.  Is there any particular significance to this badge--she also has what appears to be some 'wings' on her right upper arm.

That was puzzling me too. It could be RNAS. I assumed maybe RFC. One of the duties performed by the aerodrome was to send planes out to accompany the mailboat to Holyhead to spot submarine activity. Would that explain an RNAS presence?

Dave 

26 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

That was puzzling me too. It could be RNAS. I assumed maybe RFC. One of the duties performed by the aerodrome was to send planes out to accompany the mailboat to Holyhead to spot submarine activity. Would that explain an RNAS presence?

Dave 

Does this look similar, 

a dealer posted it online advertised as 1st pattern r.a.f.

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Does this look similar, 

a dealer posted it online advertised as 1st pattern r.a.f.

image.jpeg

That explains the two different styles perfectly.  Many thanks for clearing this point. I do not recall having seen this exact cloth type badge previously.

Robert

Just done some Googling and have found a similar image described as "An officer of the Women's Royal Air Force--WRAF" 

This image is via Pinterest  and shows the same shoulder flash as in the original image.

Robert

13 hours ago, Old Owl said:

That explains the two different styles perfectly.  Many thanks for clearing this point. I do not recall having seen this exact cloth type badge previously.

Robert

I don't recall ever seeing this type before so it stuck in the little grey cells. it's one of those websites I visit regularly as unusual stuff often pops up, put a link to the page below if you'd like a better lookhttp://www.dearoldblighty.com/shop.php

On the first page as only just listed.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

7 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I don't recall ever seeing this type before so it stuck in the little grey cells. it's one of those websites I visit regularly as unusual stuff often pops up, put a link to the page below if you'd like a better lookhttp://www.dearoldblighty.com/shop.php

On the first page as only just listed.

Dave.

Thank you for the link--probably quite a scarce badge, bit of a shame about the new thread work.

Robert