Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. William Rosslyn Bell 1st R.I.Rifles 4th October in 1918

I have just received the following from 12th R.I.R Association in relation to my Grandfather..Great to have been given so much info....I really am grateful....They also gave me a copy of his medal card for his M.C

Gerald Bell great to hear from you I have gathered some info on your grandfather. He is commemorated on Bangor First Presbyterian Church as having served in 12th Battalion Royal Irish Rilfes but from a couple of sources I think he saw service with the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rilfes.From the roll of honour in the church William was from College Avenue Bangor.

Initially he served with the 6th Battalion the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch). He was according the the London Gazette commisioned into the Royal Irish Rilfes in January 1916.

• The Royal Irish Rifles. The undermentioned to be temporary Second Lieutenants (on probation): — Dated 6th January, 1916.. William Rosslyn Bell. 

He deployed to France in March 1916.

The London Gazette also records his citation for the awarding of the Military Cross which is shown below 

• T./Capt. William Rosslyn Bell, 15th, attd. 1st Bn. R. Ir. Rif. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the operations south of Dadizeele, on October 4th, 1918. When a platoon of his company had suffered severely from machinegun fire and had been reduced to one officer and three men and the enemy had counterattacked, he brought up reinforcements, and restored the position, inflicting severe losses on the enemy. His prompt initiative and personal gallantry were a great * encouragement to his men, and helped materially to restore the situation. 

Your Grandfather also served in WW2 again this is recorded in the London Gazette in 1940 as shown below:

• AUXILIARY MILITARY PIONEER CORPS.  1940   Capt. William Rosslyn BELL/ M.C. (I42759)- 

I have also attached your Granfathers medal card. I hope this is help to you and your grandfather was clearly an outstanding and brave soldier.

I would dearly like to know more about the actions of this day if at all possible.

Hi Blackshack,

Welcome to the forum.

WRT his MC, at the National Archives the Battalion, Brigade and Division war diaries are herehere, and here. They should also be available on Ancestry - search page here.

From the file WO 338/2/11 (free download from the National Archives) it would appear that his post WW1 admin number was P/142759. That number cross references to the index of service files held by the MoD.

image.png.e69cc8aeca7aa99f2098b46c5ef507b7.png

Were you minded to, you should be able to get a copy of his (probably heavily weeded) file for £30 - see here.

Regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

This is what I have for him.

Bell Capt. William Rosslyn MC. Born at 24 Beechfield Street, Belfast, 21.8.1890, the son of Francis and Agnes Jane Bell née McKay. They married in Ballymacarrett Presbyterian Church, Belfast, 30.8.1887. His father was a textile designer. The 1911 Census shows the family at 16 Hamilton Road, Bangor, Co. Down. Children then were Selina Caroline (23), William Roslyn (20, an apprentice linen warehouseman), Catherine Jeffery (18), Francis Somerset (13), Margaret Jane (9), Eileen Agnes (6), and Gerald Mavor (4). His mother died from cardiac disease at College Avenue, Bangor, 10.12.1915. Enlisted as 2111 in 6th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch). His photo appeared on eBay from London in September 2013. He was shown as a Cpl with 2nd/6th Black Watch and wore an Imperial Service badge. Reached the rank of Sgt. Gazetted to 15th RIR, 9.1.1916. To BEF 27.3.1916. Promoted Capt., 7.9.1917. Appointed Capt., 1st RIR, 23.3.1918. Joined 1st RIR, 2.4.1918. Awarded the MC, Supplement to London Gazette 30.7.1919, page 9715: ‘T/Capt. William Rosslyn Bell, 15th, attd. 1st Bn. R. Ir. Rif. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the operations south of Dadizeele, on October 4th, 1918. When a platoon of his company had suffered severely from machinegun fire and had been reduced to one officer and three men and the enemy had counterattacked, he brought up reinforcements, and restored the position, inflicting severe losses on the enemy. His prompt initiative and personal gallantry were a great encouragement to his men, and helped materially to restore the situation.’ Transferred to 12th RIR, 22.2.1919, joining the Army of Occupation in Germany. Medal Roll states that he was with 2nd RIR. His address in 1920 was Glenfada, College Avenue, Bangor, Co. Down. His father married Elizabeth Jane Craig at Fitzroy Avenue Presbyterian Church, Belfast, 23.12.1920, and died 14.5.1926. William married Margaret Patricia Crawford. Served as a Capt in the Auxiliary Pioneer Corps in WW2. Died 9.3.1976 and interred at Bangor Cemetery. His widow died 25.11.2004. His son, Winston Mavor Bell died 24.12.2002. Closed file, ref: 20/83  (121704). His brother Gerald Mavor Bell (born 29.12.1906 and baptised in First Bangor Presbyterian Church) was educated at Bangor Grammar School; he moved to East Moree, New South Wales, Australia; enlisted at Tamworth, NSW, 10.7.1940 (he cited his brother William as his next of kin); he served as NX41008 Pte with 2/18th Battalion, Australian Infantry and was KIA at Singapore on 8.2.1942.

• spof changed the title to Capt. William Rosslyn Bell 1st R.I.Rifles 4th October in 1918