Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner George Samuel Hewitt RGA 290th Siege Battery Regimental number 353315 KIA 30/5/17

Dee S

I am looking for any information about George Samuel Hewitt of the 290th Siege Battery RGA number 353315 who died 30/5/17 and is buried at Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery.

I have the personal ancestry information and know about his time at Winchester Training College. He then taught at Foundry Lane School in Southampton. 

I would like to find out more about the 290th Siege Battery and in particular anything around the time of his death. I know he enlisted in Southampton but I don’t know when. 

The war gratuity shows £5 (net), £7 ( gross) was paid out. This was for 16 months qualifying service, indicates enlistment in the month from 31 Jan16.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Dee,

34 minutes ago, Dee S said:

I would like to find out more about the 290th Siege Battery and in particular anything around the time of his death

I didn't see it on Ancestry, but the war diary for the period April 1917 to January 1918 appears to be available to download from the National Archives - link here.

Regards

Chris

You can get some background information which tells you what was happening in the area whilst Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery was in use, from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website here:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/14400/VLAMERTINGHE MILITARY CEMETERY

It might also be worth looking at the Battery War Diary if you can find it on either Ancestry or the National Archives Discovery catalogue.

Ooh look, here it is, and only £3.50 to download:  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8890f36c1dbf4acbb2a42151bd73c4d8