Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to ID my Grandfather's Regiment

IanPhillipps

Can anybody help to trace the Regiment of my grandfather , the pictures shows a shoulder badge which I can't identify . I believe he joined up in 1916 from Cornwall, but the DCLI (Cornwall) regimental museum do not recognise the shoulder badge...any help would be gratefully received.

FCP shoulder_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Edited by IanPhillipps
Add more info

Hi,

Im sure it would help forum members if you posted your grandfathers full name, date and place of birth and home address.

Good Luck

Steve

Territorial from a Light Infantry regiment would be my guess, based on the shoulder titles.

The shoulder title is certainly for a Territorial (part-time auxiliary) battalion of a Light Infantry Regiment and Cornwall would fit with that.  The configuration starts with the County nearest the shoulder seam of the strap, e.g. CORNWALL and above it a metal bugle (German style horn).  Above that is the number of the battalion, e.g. 5 and then finally, at the top a capital T with serifs.  Such an arrangement would indicate the 5th (Territorial Force) Battalion DCLI.

N.B.  Sadly it is a sign of the times that the Cornwall museum does not recognise a configuration that was common in WW1.  If you examine the shoulder strap badge with a powerful magnifier you should be able to make out the County title and whether it does read CORNWALL.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Further to my request...my grandfathers name is Frederick Charles Phillipps Born 1883 at Roche, Cornwall, living at Skinners Bottom, Nr Truro, Cornwall Cesus 1911.

A family tree on ancestry has an MIC and service records linked to a Frederick Charles Phillipps born April 1883.

MIC

Service Record

Is this the man you're looking for?

Edited by wandererpaul

Looking at the record and mic again, it can’t be him as this man died of wounds, with a D of W on his 1914/15 Star MIC.

so back again to the start.

The family tree looks correct but not the service records.

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

N.B.  Sadly it is a sign of the times that the Cornwall museum does not recognise a configuration that was common in WW1.  If you examine the shoulder strap badge with a powerful magnifier you should be able to make out the County title and whether it does read CORNWALL.

Depressing indeed. I had a chat with the DCLI Archivist about 5 years ago: he was a lovely chap. Ex-officer of the regiment, I am certain sure he'd have known. Sadly, though, he was quite elderly so may well not still be around.

London Gazette, 6 April 1915, has a Frederick Charles Phillips appointed Second Lieutenant of the 5th Battalion, The Northumberland Fusiliers, effective 30 March 1915.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29119/page/3346

Appointment as temporary Second Lieutenant shown here: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29011/page/10822

Edited by regimentalrogue

3 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

Looking at the record and mic again, it can’t be him as this man died of wounds, with a D of W on his 1914/15 Star MIC.

so back again to the start.

The family tree looks correct but not the service records.

Thanks for your help everyone......we have tried to find Fredrick Charles Phillipps..... in the medal roles... also looked at ancestry etc  still looking...we know that he did not serve in a theatre of war i.e. overseas.  also we have seen a photo (now missing) of him in an officers uniform...

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Depressing indeed. I had a chat with the DCLI Archivist about 5 years ago: he was a lovely chap. Ex-officer of the regiment, I am certain sure he'd have known. Sadly, though, he was quite elderly so may well not still be around.

Yes, it seems that the last wartime generation are fading out and those with knowledge of WW1 military uniform are thinner on the ground outside of this forum.

Having checked the BMD records for births of a Frederick C Phillipps, just the one man turns up, registered in St Austell in June 1883.

There is, however, one silver war badge entry for a Frederick Charles Phillipps on ancestry, 23rd Btn. Royal Fusiliers no 37417 (TNA lists him as 87417 as does a Find My Past record too. Plus the SWB roll on FMP)

Who is this man? Could this be him? The age listed on the Silver War Badge roll doesn’t tally up though, so could this be an error in the surname?

any thoughts?!

Looking at the BMD records for a Frederick Charles Phillips (one P) then there are several candidates for this particular serviceman having been born in the London area, where the 23rd Bn. was formed. So could be another red herring.....

Edited by wandererpaul