Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Voices on youtube

andrew pugh

Good Evening All

I don't know if this is in the right category or even if its old hat and well known about.I happened to be looking on youtube the other evening and stumbled across a a story about how the Germans were very interested in our different accents and dialects. they recorded the voices of British soldiers. They were told to recite poems and and short stories in their own dialect. It was shown at some point on BBC Four. It was titled How the Edwardian's Spoke on Youtube site. Sorry if its already well known to Forum members.

Regards 

Andy   

I hadn't heard of this until now. I've just watched the whole programme on YouTube and found it absolutely fascinating, thank you for this Andrew.
It's here if anyone else is interested:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting Andy a very worth while watch, i live in the countryside and one off only a few real locals

remaining and it brought back to me how all the " ole buoys" used to talk.

Its a shame Joan washington didnt include the Ulster man  from Belfast would off been wonderful to hear him.

Edited by Cline O'Lone

Nice one Andy, I love this sort of thing.

This is superb, and has caused me to reorganize my Sunday afternoon. I highly recommend it!

William

Haven't watched the YouTube video but wonder if the recordings are the same as those available on the British Library website: https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/Berliner-Lautarchiv-British-and-Commonwealth-recordings