Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for 1919 Aust YMCA book...

MKC

Hello All,

I'm looking for a copy of: 'The Australian YMCA With the Australian Imperial Force' prepared by the  Historical Records Section, Admin HQ, Aust YMCA, London, August 1919. 

I've tried contacting the Aust YMCA to see if they have a copy in their archive (if they in fact, maintain an archive), but without success.

Any leads to where a copy could be viewed or better still, purchased, would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

• Admin

There are a number of books with Australian YMCA in their titles (one from 1919 by a Harold Boas) is your title as quoted the complete title?

Good luck with the hunt

David

The full title of the book is given below. Various libraries in the UK have it- It can be bought as a Print on Demand reprint  from ABE

The Australian Y.M.C.A. with the Jewish soldier of the Australian Imperial Force : together with a general survey of the operations of the Australian Jewish Chaplaincy Department and the English Jewish War Services / compiled by Harold Boas

Boas, Harold.

Published by ReInk Books (2017)

Softcover

New

Quantity Available: 9

Thanks for the replies and assistance: I had already ordered a couple of the books re the YMCA including the one mentioned above, but had a reference to the title as I quoted it in my post, so thought I was dealing with another book. No wonder I could not find any other reference to it anywhere! 

Mike

• 7 months later...

I'm looking at a possible purchase of a reprint from Reink books. Are you statisfied with the product?

Keith

The National Library of Australia has a title in its collection

Greenhill House, Sutton-Veny : the Australian Y.M.C.A. with the A.I.F

https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/857273

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: Available online from the State Library of Victoria

Link to online item

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/151895

Link to this record

http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/MAIN:Everything:SLV_VOYAGER608342

Edited by Maureene

Hi Keith,

The reproduction I purchased was fine and I was happy to add it to my library. It is a personal account, so didn't provide the breadth of information I was seeking, but was interesting reading anyway.

Hi Maureene, 

Thanks for the links. I've had a look, it is an interesting booklet. Some very contrived images, I think (hats on indoors, bandoliers on, and so on). Interesting that the place is now called Sutton Veny House, and it is a nursing home. Still looks largely the same based on the images on the webpage. 

Mike

Edited by MKC

10 minutes ago, MKC said:

The reproduction I purchased was fine and I was happy to add it to my library. It is a personal account, so didn't provide the breadth of information I was seeking, but was interesting reading anyway.

Thanks for that, I'll go ahead with my order. It is of course for a completely different volume.

Keith