Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wootton Bassett POW camp WW1

Judy C

Does anybody have anything about the POW camp in Wootton Bassett e.g. where it was, how many were housed, how they were housed, where the worked, any pictures etc....

Any help of any description would be much appreciated

Hi Chaz,

Thank you for responding - I'm grateful. I believe Lydiard had a POW camp BUT the one I'm interested in is Wootton Bassett. I've heard it was behind the old Somerfield supermarket so in Station Road. Searching on the internet I can see a Wootton Bassett (agricultural camp) but that is about it. I would love to understand more about it  

• Admin

There is a report by Dr A de Sturler held in the National Archives, it isn't available online but can be seen at Kew (if you want there may be some offers of research assistance in the Wants/Offers Thread) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2617748

It might also be useful to contact the ICRC to see if they have anything in their archives.

David

Good Afternoon, Judy and welcome to the Forum.

Wootton Bassett was an agricultural work camp under the control of the major PoW camp at Dorchester, Dorset. It was based at Corner House and was the subject of an inspection resulting in a report now housed in the

National Archives

Usually not much more can be found out about these work camps, though local newspapers such as the Swindon Advertiser might have made occasional references.about  the one at Wootton Bassett.

Security was often quite relaxed and the responsibility of men of the Royal Defence Corps. Duties would have covered the range of agricultural activities.

Moonraker

• Admin

Duplicate posts merged 

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to add but my understanding of the Bassett POW`s was that it was an agricultural camp & men from there walked to local farms under the watch of often just a single armed guard. They were used in Purton at the Remount Depot cutting grass on occasion. 

• 1 month later...

I am ordering a copy of the report. Hopefully it will have something of interest!

• 4 years later...

Bob: Sheridan hasn't visited us for almost two years. You could try PMing him, but whether he picks up your message ...

Looking through last night i did wonder .......... but like myself, she may still be researching so will try.

After taking some time out myself i am recently returning to tie up many loose ends, living back in the County looking forwards to uncovering & sharing what i find.

Many thanks, Bob