Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards 1st 3rd 4th Btn info held

Coldstreamer

Hello

If anyone needs a look up i have the following hand written original / copy  ledgers

1st Btn wounded, killed, missing etc   - around 16/17

1st btn gallantry awards AND recommendations  - no citations sorry

3rd btn wounded, killed, missing etc  roll for early 1914

4th btn - a large roll but never worked out what exactly its a roll of

an assorted roll (in numerical order) that might be to do with the issue of princess mary tin but not sure - has several address' and btn details

These are not indexed and have to be trawled through but happy to try so long as you have a name, btn and rough idea of when or what

cheers

Coldstreamer

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, Coldstreamer.

I am attempting to put together a second book [this time non-fiction] on the officers & men of the 3rd Bn Coldstream Guards who served with my grand-father, 4843 Pte Walter Darcy Thompson, from 5th August to 16th September, 1914.

Thus far, my main written sources include Walter's diary, the Battalion's war diary, FM French's early despatches, de Ruvigny' Roll of Honour, & Ross-of-Bladensburg. On line sources are mainly Paul Nixon's research on regimental numbers, the Naval & Military Archive, Forces War Records, IWM's Lives of the First World War, the CWGC & the British Newspaper Archive, amongst others. My method is very time-consuming, of course, but when you make a connection... it's like scoring a try having side-stepped the length of the pitch!

I was in mutually helpful contact years ago with the then Assistant Regimental Archivist, Major CJ Louch (Retd), regarding Walter, but I have not been as successful with my current enterprise. So, your offer to look at a 1914 roll of 3/CG wounded & missing is too good to miss. Would that be possible?

Cheers,

Robin

Ok. Send me a pm who you want looking up

• 2 years later...

Any news on the book ?