Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Temp Lieutentant Edwin John Clarkson RE

bickerton16/625

Hello!

As part of our community project in the Upper Coquet Valley centred on Rothbury in Northumberland, we are researching the lives and service of those from the district who served and survived to return and (hopefully) pick up their lives. We felt that commemorating the survivors as well as those that died was important particularly as many have descendants still living locally.

I have been looking into Temp. Lieutenant Edwin John Clarkson of Walby Hill, Rothbury. He was the district Highways and Sanitary Inspector and served with 302 Railway Company of the Royal Engineers. As an officer, I assume that I will only be able to get his full record from Kew which I will follow up but most interestingly he appears to have won the MC gazetted on 3.6.19. I have hunted for the citation of the action in question but have come up blank. I know that this is a difficult area but does anyone know where I might source this piece of information?

Incidentally, has anyone used the new Fold 3 feature on Ancestry and is it worth the extra subscription?

Many thanks in advance. 

Edited by bickerton16/625

The Military Cross might be a Birthdays Honour for services in the armed forces during WW1 - as it’s June 1919 - and not for a particular action. So no citation.

This tells you that it was for "Distinguished service" rather than a specific act of bravery

.mc.jpg.19168ba9f0caa9d38d07a06d48f74a81.jpg

By the time he died in 1954, he clearly had not been using the "MC" after his name for many years

clarkson2.jpg.4aacb3bf791d415f2cf3ff40746cd753.jpg

Gents, many thanks for all of your information and for the quick responses. It was much more than I expected in such a short time! A couple of my colleagues are tracking down his descendants and we are hoping to obtain further information, photos etc to add to the archive. The plan is to place as much information as possible on our community website so that its available to everyone including the local schools and it will be sufficiently dynamic to be regularly updated to provide a living memorial to those who served and returned and those who didn't.

Your help is much appreciated, Thanks!