Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Heavy Battery RGA - Request for information

Crunchy

I am seeking information on the 10th Heavy Battery RGA.  In particular when was it raised, and was it a New Army unit? I know it went to Gallipoli and supported ANZAC after the August Offensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris 

Edited by Crunchy

Chris,

Yes the 10 Hvy Bty was a New Army Bty raised in Sept14 at Woolwich. It arrived at Mudros (via a spell in Alexandria and change of ship) early August15. There are several small surviving battery war diaries which unfortunately have not yet been digitised (eg. Jul-Dec15 internal ref: WO95/4271) but are available at Kew.

Rgds Paul

Chris

I have transcribed the War Dairy for the 10th Heavy Battery, 20th Brigade RGA, the first couple of entries are as follows:

BASINGSTOKE  

4th Jul 1915        3pm      

Battery & Ammunition Column (strength 6 officers 208 men 143 horses) entrained in two trains for KEYHAM DOCKYARD.

KEYHAM

5th Jul 1915        2.30 pm               

Battery embarked as above, but at the last moment first reinforcements which according to instructions had accompanied unit, were transferred to another ship.

The battery therefore less first reinforcements embarked in SS KAROO(1) on board were D/58 RFA, 8th AC Headquarters RE Sig Coy, 8th AC Air Line Section, 9 AC Headquarters Sig Col, & 9 AC Air Line Section.

Not sure if this or the info I posted on your query for 17th Siege Battery is what you are looking for, but if you need something looking up please let me know.

Regards

Alan

Many thanks for your reply Alan. Excellent - just what I need. This is greatly appreciated.

In relation to 17th Siege Battery It appears it is theoretically a regular battery raised from 17 Coy - but I am not sure who 17 Coy was. My particular interest is from the unit's raising until they arrived at Anzac after the August Offensive, and whether they were Regular, Territorial or New Army units.

I am co-authoring a book, which is largely an analytical study, on the artillery at Anzac. It also covers the contribution of the British artillery and the Royal Navy. The manuscript is complete but we wish to put a sidebar or appendix in giving a short background on each of the British artillery brigades and batteries that supported ANZAC during the campaign: 4th(Lowland) Howitzer Brigade RFA, 69th Howitzer Brigade RFA, both of which we have sufficient information on, and the 10th Heavy and 17th Siege batteries which we are having difficulty finding anything about their background. So any assistance is gratefully accepted. 

Regards

Chris

Paul,

Many thanks for your most useful reply. It is greatly appreciated and helps build up the picture i am looking for.

Regards

Chris

On 19/02/2018 at 23:49, ororkep said:

Chris,

Yes the 10 Hvy Bty was a New Army Bty raised in Sept14 at Woolwich. It arrived at Mudros (via a spell in Alexandria and change of ship) early August15. There are several small surviving battery war diaries which unfortunately have not yet been digitised (eg. Jul-Dec15 internal ref: WO95/4271) but are available at Kew.

Rgds Paul