Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GORDON HIGHLANDERS- DRUMS

Cannot see obviously that it has been put up before but You Tube have a very good -and fresh- piece of British Pathe newsreel from 1934- the return of the drums of the Gordon Highlanders lost in 1914. Has a little speech by Sir Ian Hamilton about visiting Hindenburg, who arranged their return from a German war museum. Then a good old fashioned march past.  Ah, has one reaching for a "wee swally"

I had seen that before, but for some reason not heard the soundtrack. I knew they were the drums of 1 Gordon Highlanders, but had not realised that they had been left at Ostende.

RM

Ostend makes no sense to me. The 1st Gordons were surrounded and forced to surrender at the end of Le Cateau in August 1914. I suspect that the Drums were captured here.

Charles M

Edited by charlesmessenger

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:25, charlesmessenger said:

Ostend makes no sense to me. The 1st Gordons were surrounded and forced to surrender at the end of Le Cateau in August 1914. I suspect that the Drums were captured here.

Charles M

Another senior moment. It really does show that I shouldn't rely on my memory. I got the battalion numbers confused! 

The drums belonged to 2 Gordon Highlanders. They landed at Zeebrugge as part of the vain attempt to defend Antwerp. They were ordered to Ostende where they left the drums in the custody of the burgomaster. The battalion eventually pulled back to Ypres and didn't go back to Ostende. (Checked details in Falls, Gordon Highlanders in the First World War).

RM

Edited by rolt968