Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry MIC dataset - where have all the Beards gone?!

MBrockway

Williamson's Great War Medal Collectors Companion ...

The National Archives carry, approaching, five million Medal Index Cards which were photographed and put on microfiche in black and white in the mid 1980s.  This exercise omitted the information held on the reverse of some of the the cards, particularly those to officers.

The Cards were for many years, held in a huge records store area at MOD, Hayes, Middlesex.  They were housed in metal filing cabinets along with other WWI records including the MM cards.  For some reason, in the early part of the last decade (2000-2010), the MOD decided to "dispose" of or "move" the Cards from the secure storage area at Hayes.  The MIC cards were "rescued" by the Western Front Association, the MM cards by myself, Chris Bate and William Spencer.

The WFA, in association with Ancestry, scanned the Medal Index Cards in high resolution colour and covered both sides.  They are available online for a fee [NB Mark's comment: they are now available Free of charge]

p.190

45 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

I have replied asking for details so that I can take this up with  Kew and the WFA.  I' doubt very much the quality and accuracy of the reply, but won't let it go. My recollection is that the WFA were involved in the process, or am I suffering from a scrambled brain?

Keith

Best of luck Keith. I have approached the TNA before regarding the missing records on Ancestry, service records, MIC's, Diaries etc. There reply has continually been that Ancestry had everything they have in the records they hold.

So Catch 22 really, Ancestry claim one thing and the TNA state differently. Such a slap dash attitude to this Nation's History. What I would be interested in would be the contractual arrangements between the TNA and Ancestry as it would seem their has been a breach of contract somewhere along the line would could have serious consequences if it can be proved.

Andy

30 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Williamson's Great War Medal Collectors Companion ...

p.190

Thank you for the clarification.

RM

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

For some reason, in the early part of the last decade (2000-2010), the MOD decided to "dispose" of or "move" the Cards from the secure storage area at Hayes.  The MIC cards were "rescued" by the Western Front Association

I seem to recall it being reported on this forum many years ago that a number of MICs were damaged/destroyed by rodents whilst in the care of the WFA and before they came to the agreement with Ancestry to scan them.  Presumably that would explain why Ancestry don't have them in their record set yet they appear in the National Archives set?

Steve

Some mild progress, Ancestry have acknowledged that they do have the MIC collection scanned, and have asked for a link to the National Archives catalogue entry - well, I don't suppose they could find it themselves. Still, the case  is now being passed to their "Content Team" to investigate. I am holding my breath for a result.

Keith

32 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Some mild progress, Ancestry have acknowledged that they do have the MIC collection scanned, and have asked for a link to the National Archives catalogue entry - well, I don't suppose they could find it themselves. Still, the case  is now being passed to their "Content Team" to investigate. I am holding my breath for a result.

Keith

Hopefully then there'll be answer soon as to whether they can simply correct the record set or not to show the missing cards.

Craig

Unless it turns out, as was suggested earlier that some cards were lost or destroyed by whatever means when they were either passed to the WFA, or moved for scanning. Still, fingers crossed.

keith