Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which hospitals were in Buckinghamshire in 1917

Shiny

Hi All,

I'm researching Sgt Robert Johnston Blair, 6th Bn Northumberland fusiliers in another thread but I've found a newspaper cutting dated the 30 Apr 1917 saying Robert was in hospital in Buckinghamshire. I'm assuming this was for a buttock wound we have already found but I'm wondering if anyone might know which hospital it was likely to be that he was in? Was there a main hospital in Buckinghamshire that troops were evacuated to?

I've reposted this as I'm hoping people interested in this medical section might be able to help (hope that's OK).

He was eventually discharged with an SWB in Jun 1918 so I'm assuming he must have gone back out to France and been wounded again? His school role of honour says he was severely wounded would a buttock wound have been enough to fit that description and eventually cause his death 

He died in 1925 in St. Albans, Herts, and according to his memorial here in the North East it was due to his wounds. In the few years between 1917 and 1925 he did manage to get married and possibly even have a child. I have found a possible marriage in 1919 to Jessie Seymour in Eton, Buckinghamshire.

Being as it was valentines day yesterday, the old romantic in me is wondering if Jessie was his nurse so knowing which hospital he was in would help confirm or disprove that.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael

I may have a possible for you...

At Slough War Hospital there was a male porter called James Seymour, he lived at 21 Wellington St
http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?sname=seymour&hosp=bucks&id=186498&first=true&last=true

In 1911 at 21 Wellington Street

image.png.9b536c0a1590c1cd7e356838203a12a3.png

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

I'm so sorry for not replying to your posts sooner. I'm supposed to get an email notification but the last update on my phone seems to have killed my email and I've stopped getting them.

Thank you so much for all of your help, I'll follow your lead up, hopefully it will confirm my suspicions. It certainly sounds hopeful. 

Sorry again for the delayed reply. 

Michael 

22 minutes ago, Shiny said:

Hi Craig,

I'm so sorry for not replying to your posts sooner. I'm supposed to get an email notification but the last update on my phone seems to have killed my email and I've stopped getting them.

Thank you so much for all of your help, I'll follow your lead up, hopefully it will confirm my suspicions. It certainly sounds hopeful. 

Sorry again for the delayed reply. 

Michael 

Nee worries, hope it helps as it seems a good match.

Craig