Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Goodyear, 6th Seaforth Highlanders

Phil Wood

I'm used to researching men who changed regiments, but this chap takes the biscuit!

Is it possible to explain a military career like this?

GoodyearA_BWMRoll.JPG

16 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

I'm used to researching men who changed regiments, but this chap takes the biscuit!

Is it possible to explain a military career like this?

GoodyearA_BWMRoll.JPG

He upset people, a lot ?

I would imagine the TR move as a trainer but the rest...

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

He upset people, a lot ?

The thought had crossed my mind. :lol:

However, I did wonder about seeing Training Reserve on a medal roll - I thought they only listed service in a theatre or war?  Was the Training Reserve active in France?

Goodyear/Goodyer's entire service record on FindMyPast is a single page form B278.

This records his transfer from the Training Reserve to the Army Veterinary Corps - no intervening Devon Regt or Labour Corps. . . .

Still struggling to find this page on Ancestry in the hope that something else exists in the pages either side!

GoodyearA_Transfers.JPG

Hi Phil, 

First move may Wounding..listesd on WO list Oct 1915.

Then it maybe his trade, if he born 1889 then I think the moves could due to that, 1911 apppears to have him in Suffolk as an out of work Gamekeeper....links with animals (AVC) Shoeing Smith perhaps, I have Hermitage man with 4 or 5 differing numbers.

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

20 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

The thought had crossed my mind. :lol:

However, I did wonder about seeing Training Reserve on a medal roll - I thought they only listed service in a theatre or war?  Was the Training Reserve active in France?

Goodyear/Goodyer's entire service record on FindMyPast is a single page form B278.

This records his transfer from the Training Reserve to the Army Veterinary Corps - no intervening Devon Regt or Labour Corps. . . .

Still struggling to find this page on Ancestry in the hope that something else exists in the pages either side!

GoodyearA_Transfers.JPG

You do sometimes see TR numbers - usually because to prevent them being 'orphaned' they had to be on someone's books until they got to a base depot in France and were renumbered. Technically they then entered overseas with a number for a unit which itself had never been overseas.

Craig

22 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

1911 apppears to have him in Suffolk as an out of work Gamekee

Not sure that is him now...I see SDGW have from Lincolnshire...found them on the 1911 census the Father Lovelles George was a Carter on a Farm..as I am sure you will know and Bertie is a Labourer...so still animal linked perhaps.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi Andy,

1911 he is in Newbury - as Bertie Goodyear, his registered name.  He seems to have adopted Albert after this - perhaps he thought Bertie too childish?. SDGW has made a mess of his birthplace - he was born St Mary Bourne, Hants not St Mary's, Bourn, Lancs.

Army records have him as GOODYER.

CWGC and civil records have GOODYEAR.

Newbury Weekly News, 14 November 1918 – Local War Notes

Mrs. Goodyear of 1, Berkeley Cottages, Speenhamland, has received the sad news that her son, Pte A Goodyear, of the Seaforth Highlanders, was killed on October 25th , south of Valenciennes. He was hit in the advance. The chaplain of the Battalion writes that he was buried in the British cemetery at Maing.

7 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

chap takes the biscuit

He wasn't satisfied until he ended up with the best.  Alba gu brath !

17 hours ago, bif said:

He wasn't satisfied until he ended up with the best.  Alba gu brath !

I suspect he was very pround of his knees and wasn't happy until he could wear a skirt. :) 

25 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

he was very pround

Something all men should try at least once.  Actually kind a' comfortable.

Edited by bif

• 1 year later...