Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is my Grandfather wearing a German uniform ?

PaulChat

It has been noted that my Grandfather (seated) by more than one person (including a German) that he's wearing a German uniform. If this is the case, why would that be do you think ? The photo was taken in Germany Feb 1919.

image.jpeg

57 minutes ago, PaulChat said:

It has been noted that my Grandfather (seated) by more than one person (including a German) that he's wearing a German uniform. If this is the case, why would that be do you think ? The photo was taken in Germany Feb 1919.

image.jpeg

What is your grandfather’s name and any other details that you may have on him.  

Any details on the the back of the photograph 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

I don‘t know why he wanted a photo of himself in a German uniform but it was taken in a studio in Niederzier in the admin area of Düren. He was obviously there serving with the army of occupation.

Charlie

He is wearing  the  blue pre-war uniform. The other guy the cute sailor clothes. 20/02/19 - I believe they are inspired by German Carneval.  :-)

That´s exactly what I thought!

The photo was taken outside. I don´t know if there was a permanent photo-studio in this rather small place. It could have been taken by a migrant photographer. The uniform could be Fieldartillery or Guards. But the Prussian should know for sure.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

The photo looks to me to be a couple of chaps in what are cobbled-together German navy/armyuniforms - perhaps a photographic record of a comedy sketch they performed as part of a show, or of a fancy dress party in which they had to dress as Germans?

William 

Edited by WilliamRev