Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost research.......

Laird of Camster

A few years back I picked up a British War Medal to 23273 Pte G SLAWTHER RAMC

Due to a software issue on my computer I have lost all the information I had on him :( and am hoping someone can help me piece it together again? 

From memory I seem to recall that this was his sole entitlement and that he served out the war on Malta? 

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm this for me?

54 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Many thanks for that link, museumtom.

His MIC confirms his sole entitlement. I felt sure I had information that he'd served in Malta? He doesn't appear to have any service papers? Is there any other way that you can suggest that I can confirm his Malta service? 

Slawther.png

4 minutes ago, Laird of Camster said:

Many thanks for that link, museumtom.

His MIC confirms his sole entitlement. I felt sure I had information that he'd served in Malta? He doesn't appear to have any service papers? Is there any other way that you can suggest that I can confirm his Malta service? 

Slawther.png

You are right about Malta - the documents in his service record for his pension application state he had served there.

Craig

Good Morning

It looks as if his previous occupation (coal miner) may have played a part in his illness that prevented him from serving for longer than 140 days with him being discharged on 21st July 1916 at Aldershot. I take it that his short service would explain only the one medal?

regards

Indefatigable

39 minutes ago, Indefatigable said:

Good Morning

It looks as if his previous occupation (coal miner) may have played a part in his illness that prevented him from serving for longer than 140 days with him being discharged on 21st July 1916 at Aldershot. I take it that his short service would explain only the one medal?

regards

Indefatigable

No. Service in Malta only explains the single medal. It would not count as service in a theatre of war which would be needed for a Victory Medal.

RM

Many thanks chaps for all your replies to my thread!!!!!

You've all been a great help!!!!!

Not sure what conditions were like on Malta in 1916, but I think I'd have rather chanced that, than the Somme :mellow:!!

Edited by Laird of Camster

5 hours ago, rolt968 said:

No. Service in Malta only explains the single medal. It would not count as service in a theatre of war which would be needed for a Victory Medal.

RM

Good afternoon

Many thanks for the clarification rolt968. I was not sure hence the question.

regards

Indefatigable

• 1 year later...

Hi George Slawther, is a relative of mine but I’m afraid I don’t know anything about his war record. I would love to know anything you can remember.