Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Driver's riding crop/whip

manxsapper1915

Hello all,

I'm currently putting together a GW RE Driver's uniform for the Horses at War event at Beamish Museum, County Durham, in April this year. The one thing I'm currently looking in for is a REs badged riding crop/ whip; if anyone has one they may sell or could point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Baz

dceccf7f24a436f1f000ba1cd3d00384.jpg

You will find that the photo you have posted shows them holding swagger sticks , that were used for walking out and not for riding purposes

John

31 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

You will find that the photo you have posted shows them holding swagger sticks , that were used for walking out and not for riding purposes

John

The chap in the centre certainly has a riding crop...the leather loop on the end confirms this.

If I come across one I'll keep you informed.

Dave.

It is a riding crop but it is a "walking out" item not an issued "drivers whip".

Whips were issued to drivers (horse handlers), a driver riding postilion had a short whip with a stout octagonal wood handle 40cm long and a plaited leather thong 90cm long with a cotton cracker on the end. When driving from the board the whip had a much longer wood handle and longer thong. A drivers short whip would be carried tucked into the legging and was shaped and sized so that the driver could use it to scoop the head of the other horse in the pair, to lead it to the left when turning the pair to the left. A task that required a great deal of skill.

A vehicle (wagon or limber) pulled by one or two horses will normally be driven from the board. When using two pairs, these can be driven from the board by long reins or by postilion drivers. When using 3 pair or more, postilion drivers are usual. 

Cheers

Ross

Thank you Dave and Ross for the info; I have a 1908 dated RE swagger stick and I didn't know that the crops they were carrying were for walking out purposes, so you learn something every day. Dave, if you do see one I'd be chuffed to bits, fingers crossed.

Regards

Baz

• 2 months later...
On 14 February 2018 at 10:39, manxsapper1915 said:

Thank you Dave and Ross for the info; I have a 1908 dated RE swagger stick and I didn't know that the crops they were carrying were for walking out purposes, so you learn something every day. Dave, if you do see one I'd be chuffed to bits, fingers crossed.

Regards

Baz

Don't know if you're still looking, but ones just popped up on eBay...bit worn but by the looks of it original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Royal-Engineers-Riding-Crop/142782592012?hash=item213e81740c:g:JGQAAOSwjh5a5CWv

regards,

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

looks like it's had a bit of a life but I've put a bid on, I could get it repaired.

Regards

Baz

3 hours ago, manxsapper1915 said:

Thanks Dave,

looks like it's had a bit of a life but I've put a bid on, I could get it repaired.

Regards

Baz

Not the best of conditions but may well come to you quite cheaply given condition...certainly a worthwhile restoration project.

best of luck and hope it goes your way.

Dave.

Dave, I was lucky to be the only bidder so it cost £23 in total, needs a little bit of a tidy but should look good when completed, very pleased to get it as I'm off to France in August, complete in RE Driver's uniform for a week long event, so it's exactly what I've been after.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by manxsapper1915

1 hour ago, manxsapper1915 said:

Dave, I was lucky to be the only bidder so it cost £23 in total, needs a little bit of a tidy but should look good when completed, very pleased to get it as I'm off to France in August, complete in RE Driver's uniform for a week long event, so it's exactly what I've been after.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Congratulations.  It was on my watch list, but after spotting this thread I thought it unsporting to bid against you. Glad it has found a good home.

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Congratulations.  It was on my watch list, but after spotting this thread I thought it unsporting to bid against you. Glad it has found a good home.

Very sporting of you bud and thank you, I'll post an updated picture when it's been repaired.

Baz

4 hours ago, manxsapper1915 said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I had it in my watch list, and was hoping it was your winning bid....many congratulations.

Even though a little tired, it's original and not many turn up...I am sure a little sympathetic restoration will have it looking excellent.

Dave.

8 hours ago, manxsapper1915 said:

Very sporting of you bud and thank you, I'll post an updated picture when it's been repaired.

Baz

Thanks, I look forward to seeing it.

• 2 months later...

I've had the crop repaired and I'm very happy with the final look, all metal work polished and the leather work done by a Master Saddler of the Household Cavalry, compared to the condition when I bought it, it's a fantastic transformation ; what is also interesting is the length, I thought it may have been shortened ,but I've come across a photo and it seems to be the correct length.

received_10212991210279545.jpeg

received_10212991206799458.jpeg

20180507_103351.jpg

27 minutes ago, manxsapper1915 said:

I've had the crop repaired and I'm very happy with the final look, all metal work polished and the leather work done by a Master Saddler of the Household Cavalry, compared to the condition when I bought it, it's a fantastic transformation ; what is also interesting is the length, I thought it may have been shortened ,but I've come across a photo and it seems to be the correct length.

received_10212991210279545.jpeg

received_10212991206799458.jpeg

20180507_103351.jpg

Well that's an excellent restoration, very pleasing results...many thanks for sharing.

Dave.