Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plane shot down by U-boat

Michael Lowrey

Hi Brackles,

no casualties reported on the UC 10

after the Short biplane was forced to land on the sea by the mg fire of UC10, the German seaplane went close to the Short biplane

and forced them to surrender with mg fire.

Then torpedoboat A14 arrived and towed the Short to Zeebrugge.

Cnock

Cnock, thank you

I had my doubts about Bailey's claim - bobbing about on the oggin in a flimsy seaplane seems an unlikely place from which he and Mardock would want to continue to fight. Were these submarines particularly vulnerable to mg fire from the likes of a Short 830?

Thanks again.

Brackles

• 3 years later...

Corporal Louis Gray Faires, one of the missing Airmen from Airship C25, was my Grandmothers Brother.

I proudly carry his name, as does my own son. I have recently cleared a family house, and gathered a number of old photographs of Louis Gray and his Airship crew members also his Medals, which were believed to have been lost over the years, as his mother refused to open them after loosing her only son.

I have tried to attach some of these photo's but they seem to be too large, but I would happily share if anyone is interested, so please message me accordingly.

Regards...

Lewis Gray Rohloff

• 9 months later...

My name is Lewis Gray Rohloff and I am named after Corporal Lewis Gray Faiers who was lost on Airship C25 on 31/07/1918, he was my Grandmothers brother. My son is also named after him, and we are both proud to carry his name.

I have attached some of the photo's we have of the crew, and would be happy to circulate others if required.

the names of the other members of the crew are; 

Captain Harry Robert Hopperton,

Aircraftsman 1st Class 205781 Arthur Groves Groves,

Air Mechanic 2nd Class 245168 Edward Kiddle Adkinson.

I am hoping to attend the sight of the Anglican church in Longford, Aberdeenshire close to the now abandoned former R.A.F. Longside, on 31st July 2018 to commemorate the Centenary of their deaths.

Louis Crew 2.jpg

o 001.jpg

Louis Crew.jpg

1 001.jpg

• 6 months later...

Message for Lewis Rohloff. The memorial to the crew of C25 is in the church in St Johns Church, Longside, Aberdeenshire. My brother is one of the lay preachers at the church and holds the keys. I’m sure he would be interested to meet you should you manage to get there in August. If you contact me by private message here I can give you his contact details.

Do you know who is who in the photos?  I was wondering if the photo with only 4 men is the 4 who died when the ship was lost.

Brodie, thanks for your contact and information........I would be very interested in contacting your brother.

I believe that the four men in the photo are the crew who were lost on 31st July 1918, I also have some individual photo's which I could forward?

Regards...Lewis Gray Rohloff.

image.png.93a26420719e1dbf6867abb0f41595fb.png 

This is the Panel at Hollybrook Cemetery in Southampton commemorating the crew of Airship 25. The Hollybrook Memorial commemorates all the WW1 members of the land and air forces who lost their lives at sea or who have no known grave.

On 04/03/2018 at 21:23, Lewis Gray Rohloff said:

Brodie, thanks for your contact and information........I would be very interested in contacting your brother.

I believe that the four men in the photo are the crew who were lost on 31st July 1918, I also have some individual photo's which I could forward?

Regards...Lewis Gray Rohloff.

Lewis. If you give me your email address via the forum message facility, I’ll contact you direct.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Some additional information: The German submarine UB 10 claims to have shot down an English aircraft on April 30, 1916 off Flanders with the plane's crew being rescued by Allied (presumably British) warships. Will attempt to get additional details from UB 10's KTB. Any ideas as to which plane was involved?