Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two new books on the Battle of the Lys

Chris_Baker

Just a note to advise members that my two new books on the Battle of the Lys in April 1918 will be published shortly.

They are in the Battleground Europe series produced by Pen & Sword Military.

Titles:

The Battle of the Lys 1918. South: Objective Hazebrouck

and 

The Battle of the Lys 1918. North: Objective Ypres

Now on pre-order at Pen & Sword, Amazon and other retailers.

Both edited by  Nigel Cave.

The books cover the whole battle of April 1918*, and are the usual Battleground Europe blend of history and battlefield tour advice.

*The South volume does not cover the actions at Givenchy and Festubert, which are described in an earlier BE volume by Phil Tomaselli, although inevitably I have had to provide some information about the fighting in that area in order for the rest to make sense.

4 minutes ago, mebu said:

Going to have to clear a bit more shelf space.....

Peter

Me too. Actually it might be an idea to buy some shelves. I think I am the only person in the western spiral arm of the galaxy who doesn't own an IKEA bookcase, it may be time to change that. Or maybe not.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Chris

My latest WFA talk is about this battle.

I have a particular interest in Estaires/La Gorgue area which 50 Division defended.

Do you have a walk in this area?

I've planned my own walks before for the area and aim to spend 2 days there later in the year and it would be nice to have one of your walks to follow.

Sean

Congratulations, Chris.

Bernard

Sean, there isn't a specific walk around Estaires and La Gorgue but the area is visited in a couple of the car/bike tours. The historical narrative includes, as you would expect, a great deal about the fighting in the area. It is in the South volume.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Chris

That's good enough for me, I'll plan my two days around your walks with my own little bit at Estaires/La Gorgue.

It's a fascinating area and quite forgotten, (I bet it wouldn't be if the Australians or Canadians fought there).

On the 10th April, whilst fighting raged in Estaires, Lieutenant C L Haddon of C Coy, 5 DLI at La Gorgue, half a mile away, said

'The 10th was the pleasantest day I spent in France. There was one row of houses on our side of the river and we dug in about 50 yards from them. Our look out men from the tops of the houses saw no signs of Germans all day. At different times Hill and I patrolled the other side of the river without seeing any signs of the enemy. In the evening I went duck shooting in the Lawe and got a good bag for our next day's dinner'

Haddon missed the dinner – taken prisoner the next morning.

Capt Hill of C Coy reported – 'During the night a patrol saw a light in a building on the enemy side of the river. They found two very drunken old soldiers snoring away peacefully, blind to the fact that they were liable to be scooped up any moment. They were got out of the building after a struggle and were last seen staggering down the road clad only in socks, shirts and drawers'.

Talk about the 'fog of war'.

Sean

• 3 months later...

Just making my way through the Battle of the Lys South book - another triumph Chris, along with your Battle for Flanders book, which was also excellent. Quick question - I recently discovered my Great Grandfather was captured on 11th April 1918 serving with the D Coy 50th Battalion MGC in 50 Div. The War Diary is pretty vague - it says his Company moved up from HQ on the Aviation ground to Robermetz - and that around 6pm they received orders to help form a firing line with 150 Infantry Brigade on the right of the road leading to Neuf Berquin. I am out in a fortnight doing a 10 day recce hoping to follow his war up til he was captured and wondered if you could throw any light on where his unit was on the 11th when he was captured? Which road to Neuf Berquin the diary means. Would also be interested to know where the aviation ground was if you know.

Many thanks

Rory

These two sketches are from the diary of HQ of 150 Inf Bde, while the third is two British grid maps stitched together. I hope this helps! 

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

As you will have worked out, the brigade began the day on the left of the Estaires - Neuf Berquin - Vieux Berquin road, near the rather ill-defined village of Trou Bayard.

By about 9am the Germans had got in behind the 5th Yorks (most of which was lost) and the brigade was in serious danger of envelopment. 87 Inf Bde was arriving just behind 150, which was by now not much more than scattered elements and not the solid units that the sketches might suggest. At 11.30am the bde received orders to withdraw to a position at Pont de la Trompe, south east of Neuf Berquin, leaving 87 Inf Bde as the new front. 

The brigade diary entry for the day is pretty good.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Aviation Ground and Robermetz: 

Capture4.JPG

In other words, if you go to that patch between Robermetz and Pont de la Trompe, you won't be far wrong.

Modern map:

Capture5.JPG

Edited by Chris_Baker

Thanks Chris - this is above and beyond what I expected and will really help me get on the ground where he was captured. Your help will ensure I get close and I am sure it will be a memorable and emotional experience

All the best

Rory