Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Tracks

Gareth Davies

I have just noticed that the Mk IV tank that His Majesty is inspecting has some wooden poles fitted to its tracks. I have never seen these before.  I know about unhitching beams but I have never read anything about these poles.  Can anyone help plug the gap in my knowledge?

HM.jpg

My very old guide to the Tank Museum, price 2 shillings and 6 pence states that "these devices are "torpedo spuds" a predecessor to the unditching beam designed by Major Harry Buddicorn.  A wooden spar 55in long by 6 inches diameter, iron bound collars linked by chains to a clamp that attached it to a track link.  The spars were supposed to act as purchases against mud and obstacles but in practice were useless as they turned end on in operation."

Tony

Of course they are Tony, thanks for jogging  my memory.  

2 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

My very old guide to the Tank Museum, price 2 shillings and 6 pence states that "these devices are "torpedo spuds" a predecessor to the unditching beam designed by Major Harry Buddicorn.  A wooden spar 55in long by 6 inches diameter, iron bound collars linked by chains to a clamp that attached it to a track link.  The spars were supposed to act as purchases against mud and obstacles but in practice were useless as they turned end on in operation."

Tony

Tony beat me to it!  I agree - they are torpedo spuds - I think they were tried at Arras in Apr 17 and proved useless.  I cannot remember the reference. Or may be not until Ypres. Regards, Paul