Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilson, Keppel and Betty

Sgt Stripes

Hi . Does anyone have any information on the wartime service of Jack Wilson and Joe Keppel who formed the famous music hall act WILSON, KEPPEL and BETTY. Jack Wilson served with the Royal navy while Joe Keppel served with Royal Australian navy. Many thanks

Edited by Sgt Stripes

Their Wikipedia article has a very small amount of information but it turns out that they both served with the Australian Navy eventually. I think the records should be in the Australian War Museum (AWM).

I'll check the Oxford DNB and the Dictionary of Australian Biography when I'm at my PC.

There is a relatively new book titled,; 'Too Naked for the Nazis' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilson-Keppel-Betty-Naked-Nazis/dp/1781961492 which gives brief mention to their history as it were. The book is niche and more biographical of the group (and the many Betty's) than biogs., before.

Keppel, had joined 5th Royal Irish Lancers but left and joined the RN. Discharged after four months unfit. 2 years later joined the R Australian Navy. 

Served on the Cerberus, Encounter, Tingira,  discharged 1st Nov. 1917 with heart trouble.

Jack reputed to have joined the Navy Transport Service and said to have been at Gallipoli landings (unknown to what capacity). After the war met Keppel in Australia, and started their clog dancing act.

The first Betty, ended up being a war correspondent and reported on Nuremburg Trials. 

Thanks diver, a little more than what Wikipedia says.

No joy from either of the biographical dictionaries :(

Thank you both for the information and looking. The link to Gallipoli is interesting .. 

Edited by Sgt Stripes