Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British troops leaving farm billets-can you help?

EastSurrey

I apologise for the poor quality of the image, but here is a YMCA postcard of British troops leaving farm billets. I have reason to believe it may be 9th East Surrey, 72nd Brigade, 24th Division, as a similar card was one of a handful, all relating to his service, I found in the collection of the battalion's Major (later Lt. Col.) Clark at Surrey History Centre. and there may well be the Division's St. Andrew's cross on upper arms .

I suspect it's battalion HQ on the move, with a French interpreter, a disproportionately large number of officers( one or two riding and two walking) and only a limited amount of transport in sight. No credit is given for the original photograph, so I don't know its source.

Has anyone come across the original source photograph, or can they  comment on what the picture shows?

Michael

Scan_20180210.jpg

I suspect that it might be the Regimental Aid Post moving.  Two men in the foreground are carrying a stretcher, followed by an officer on foot, to the right there is a mounted officer, and then the others behind him appear to be ORs, their uniform is different and wear different webbing. 

Thank you all. The battalion was in the Maricourt area in early August 1916, but not in billets, moving from tents into dugouts, on 10 August, according to Pirie, the R.M.O., so my identification may be mistaken. Eddie- is it possible to buy a copy of the original photo?

Michael

Are the two soldiers on the left French, they look to be wearing different uniforms

Must admit I hadn’t considered the role of interpreter, thanks.

Simon