Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking in Plugstreet Wood

AndyJohnson

Hi 

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk thorough Plugstreet Wood from L'Auberge through to Rifle House CWGC, and then continue through the wood to get to the Birdcage? As this will be a mixed-abilities group, we would be looking for paths, and not everyone could climb fences!

regards

Andy 

It's very easy to walk to Rifle House, there are a number of options as shown on the screenshot from the NGI website.  But getting from there to the Birdcage on the east of the wood requires a schlep north or south to the edge of the wood before heading east.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 11.30.12.png

Edited by Gareth Davies

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

It's very easy to walk to Rifle House, there are a number of options as shown on the screenshot from the NGI website.  But getting from there to the Birdcage on the east of the wood requires a schlep north or south to the edge of the wood before heading east.

First use of 'Schlep' on GWF???!!! I use to have to schlep from the Madison Avenue office of a company I used to work for to other places for various reasons... 

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your reply. The easy route as I see it, is from Prowse Point (PP) past Mud Corner (MC) and follow the orange-coloured track (about 1.2km)

I was then hoping to follow the grey-dashed track (if it is a track), going east from Rifle House (RH) - or go back north to Ploegsteert Wood CWGC and take the track east marked 1 - 2 -3 and hopefully get onto the track at somewhere near 4. 

Does that not seem an option?

It's been quite a few years since I've been in Plugstreet - would the red track I've added from L'Auberge be an option - the line looks like I've had a couple of Leffes already!

regards

Andy

image.png.42be3d0686215f1db0e85193fb7e09da.png

43 minutes ago, trajan said:

First use of 'Schlep' on GWF???!!! I use to have to schlep from the Madison Avenue office of a company I used to work for to other places for various reasons... 

No, it was first used in Nov 2004.

19 minutes ago, AndyJohnson said:

Hi Gareth

Thanks for your reply. The easy route as I see it, is from Prowse Point (PP) past Mud Corner (MC) and follow the orange-coloured track (about 1.2km)

I was then hoping to follow the grey-dashed track (if it is a track), going east from Rifle House (RH) - or go back north to Ploegsteert Wood CWGC and take the track east marked 1 - 2 -3 and hopefully get onto the track at somewhere near 4. 

Does that not seem an option?

It's been quite a few years since I've been in Plugstreet - would the red track I've added from L'Auberge be an option - the line looks like I've had a couple of Leffes already!

regards

Andy

image.png.42be3d0686215f1db0e85193fb7e09da.png

I am not sure you can get to 4 from the track 1-2-3 without going north or south at point 2.

Thanks Again Gareth

Looks like I'll have to give it a go and find out. We do a 'recce' in advance of the main trip so we'll try to see if there's access from the lane marked (4)

regards

Andy

Partly depends on when you go.....through the shooting season the paths, apart from the track to RH, are blocked with barbed wire and signs denying access. Passing these will result in a good b......ing from the keeper.

Peter

Thanks Peter

That's a point which had escaped me - the shooting season! 

Do you know the dates of the hunting season in Flanders? Is it August/September (the glorious 12th)? Our visit will be early June.

Andy

Edited by AndyJohnson

Nostalgia moment: fifty years ago this summer my first visit to the Salient and the Somme - and Plugstreet Wood; in the brief time we had in the area it was a matter of a walk down to Mud Corner and then onwards to Rifle House; into two (I think) bunkers and emerging from the Wood with parts of a rum jar and several caltrops. That was in August and no one shot at us then, by the way (though not so sure what might have happened on the minor tracks ...).

Andy I don't know the shooting season dates but do know it covers autumn and winter. Most unlikely to be in June - breeding season - but the bloke in the Auberge (Claude?) who posts here occasionally should be able to advise.

Peter 

• Admin
58 minutes ago, mebu said:

but the bloke in the Auberge (Claude?) who posts here occasionally should be able to advise.

Yes, his name is Claude but he hasn't visited since last July.  His member name is Ploggy and you could try a PM and see if he gets an email. Otherwise search online for the l'Auberge Ploegstreet.

I contacted Claude at L'Auberge, and he confirmed Gareth's initial view, that a 'schlep' north or south is required.

"unfortunately you will have to step backwards out of the wood, the wood is privately owned and they do not allow people to walk through the wood."

Looks like park up at Prowse Point and 1.2km in and 1.2km back out. Maybe we'll 'schlep' in, and 'step backwards' out.

regards

Andy

Edited by AndyJohnson

I've walked in the woods in the shooting season (keeping to the paths) and met a gamekeeper who handed me a large carrier bag full of walnuts! :)