Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 soldiers photographs

benradette ainsworth

Could anyone tell me if itr was the usual thing to have brothers who joined up for ww1 to be photographed together?  I have a photo of my grandfather who was in the royal Warwickshire regiment, I know he had 3 brothers and two served in the army possibly the royal warwicks the other brother was in the navy, I am just curious to know who the other soldier is on the photograph with my grandfather.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Bernadette Ainsworth

On 10 February 2018 at 22:54, benradette ainsworth said:

Could anyone tell me if itr was the usual thing to have brothers who joined up for ww1 to be photographed together?  I have a photo of my grandfather who was in the royal Warwickshire regiment, I know he had 3 brothers and two served in the army possibly the royal warwicks the other brother was in the navy, I am just curious to know who the other soldier is on the photograph with my grandfather.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Bernadette Ainsworth

Hi Bernadette, 

It's not unusual at all. 

A soldier might have a photo taken with his brother, wife or sweetheart, family, mates or Army pals prior to being posted overseas. (Post Card)

If it's a European postcard  - (Carte Postal,  Cartolina), it would be more likely a friend, though meeting up with brother/father/son etc. while on leave in France is also possible. 

You could post the card and details for your grandfather, name No. etc. and name/s of his brother/s, to see if a name can be tied to a regimental badge or uniform detail. 

Edited by GWF1967

18 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Bernadette, 

It's not unusual at all. 

A soldier might have a photo taken with his brother, wife or sweetheart, family, mates or Army pals prior to being posted overseas. (Post Card)

If it's a European postcard  - (Carte Postal,  Cartolina), it would be more likely a friend, though meeting up with brother/father/son etc. while on leave in France is also possible. 

You could post the card and details for your grandfather, name No. etc. and name/s of his brother/s, to see if a name can be tied to a regimental badge or uniform detail. 

Good evening and thank you for the reply, the photo I have is a copy and not a very good one I am afraid, my grandfather is the man on the left of the photo.  My grandfather was Herbert Arthur weston royal Warwickshire regiment, he was killed at paschendalle on 3rd September 1917. he had three brothers George Charles  born 1890, I was told was killed in irland, no info on him, his other siblings were William henry who was killed at the battle of jutland in 1916, and his other brother who was  Frederick david Weston born 1899 the youngest was  taken prisoner of was but he came back from the war and married, not sure what regiment he was in but think it was the warwicks,   all born in Birmingham.  I have attatched the photo but as I say its not very good.

Thank you for your time

Bernadettegrandad.jpg.cd74d94d10d6cd68b8b0a27cf62ddbb1.jpg