Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Information

Stoner2840

Hi guys, looking for some help in trying to identify a Regt for a friend, Photo is of his GGrandfather, Henry Clifton Murray, the family aren't sure of any Regiment or number, the photo isn't very good quality i'm afraid but I believe that he is a Serjeant? also on the left sleeve are these 2 wound stripes? He came from London, initially looking at the cap badge area I thought maybe Hertfordshire Yeomanry but i'm not so sure now I think it is too blurred to define, but would his uniform style suggest Yeomanry (baggy trousers)? Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received

H C Murray.jpg

Looks like King’s Royal Rifle Corps or a similarly badged Battalion of the London Regiment to me.  Cap badge shape and colour and buttons refer as evidence.

6 hours ago, Stoner2840 said:

Hi guys, looking for some help in trying to identify a Regt for a friend, Photo is of his GGrandfather, Henry Clifton Murray, the family aren't sure of any Regiment or number, the photo isn't very good quality i'm afraid but I believe that he is a Serjeant? also on the left sleeve are these 2 wound stripes? He came from London, initially looking at the cap badge area I thought maybe Hertfordshire Yeomanry but i'm not so sure now I think it is too blurred to define, but would his uniform style suggest Yeomanry (baggy trousers)? Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received

H C Murray.jpg

If you think he is Sergeant from the three stripes on his lower right arm, these are not rank but Overseas Service Chevrons, introduced in 1918 and awarded retroactively - one red would denote service in 1914, blue thereafter. These are all blue showing he had basically accumulated between 2 and 3 years overseas service from 1915 or onwards by the time this picture was taken. The two vertical stripes on his lower left arm are indeed wounded stripes, and basically denote he was wounded on two occasions.

Edited by Andrew Upton

12 hours ago, Stoner2840 said:

Thanks Frog, would you think 17th London (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) could be a fit? One possible match in MI cards

No, more like the 9th, 11th, 12th, or 16th.  The 17th is the wrong shape.  Don’t rule out the KRRC.  The London’s were all Territorial battalions.  The KRRC regulars, and so-called ‘service’ (specifically war raised) battalions.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is a MIC for

Henry C Murray
Regiment or Corps: Border Regiment