Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is Zeophan, Germany?

Martin Lepley

Looking at the naturalisation papers of a Lady during 1914-1916, it is reported that her late husband was from Zeophan, Germany.

I have seen elsewhere a reference to Saxony.

Could anyone tell me where this is, or if spelt incorrectly then to suggest the correct spelling.

This spelling is exactly as the document states and it typed.

Thanks in advance

I would like to see this document. Most probably there is an error by this spelling. Zeophan is a very strange n.ame 

This is the Richard Loescher who comes up on Google  -with a good web page from Canvey Island.  There, his place of birth is given as Leipzig. I cannot see a suburb of Leipzig that might be what you want but would suggest that you zap the name 2Richard Loescher" on Ancestry a.s.a.p -if it gives further detail

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, it is the same one as on www.CanveyIsland.org

The document I have posted here actually comes from his wife so I am guessing might by more accurate, and if not still interesting to find out.

It might be in the district of Leipzig so may narrow the search down.

I have searched on ancestry (many times) but quite possible I have missed something.

Martin

10 minutes ago, Martin Lepley said:

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, it is the same one as on www.CanveyIsland.org

The document I have posted here actually comes from his wife so I am guessing might by more accurate, and if not still interesting to find out.

It might be in the district of Leipzig so may narrow the search down.

I have searched on ancestry (many times) but quite possible I have missed something.

Martin

WWW.FAMILYSEARCH.ORG?

Hi,

according to a placename dictionary of the time there is/was no place in Germany by the Name of Zeo.... (at least bigger than 300 souls)

There was, however a small place in the district of  Tost-Gleiwitz (Silesia) by the name of Zaolschan which could correspond to the handwritten name of the place.

GreyC

GreyC

You´re up at 4h30 a.m.???

Here is a map which shows a large population of the name Löscher (= Loescher) in Saxony today:

http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/l%C3%B6scher.html

Edited by The Prussian

And here you´ll find some german POWs with the name Richard Loscher (Loescher, Löscher) (some from Saxony):

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/1/2/147/0/German/Military/Löscher%2C Richard

I´ve found:
Richard Löscher (Res.Inf.Rgt.102), born in Schönheide (57km from Zschopau)

Emil (Richard) Löscher (Inf.Rgt. 182), born in Bärenwalde (52km from Zschopau)

Richard Löscher (Inf.Rgt. 474), born in Crimmitschau (56km from Zschopau)

Richard Löscher (Inf.Rgt. 347), no place of birth

All regiments, but 347, were saxon units

Edited by The Prussian

1 hour ago, MrSwan said:

Martin,

I read this as Zakopane, which is in southern Poland close to the Czech border. Doesn't make any sense, though.

Jonathan

This place (Poland) does look a bit too far from Saxony. Saxony was used to describe the place of birth in the UK 1911 Census. Although the question that springs to mind. Would Saxony be used to describe a native of Germany at this time, and as such a red herring.

Guys, I really do not understand why some here still try to argue and question the relevation made by The Prussian.

Like the Prussian I also have some decent knowledge of German language - it is clearly Zschopau!

Yes, I think the answer to this question is indeed "Zschopau".

Many thanks to all those who took the time to help with this matter.

Herzlichen Dankbar.

Martin

There is his UK marriage in 1892 to Leah Jane Edwards. The certificate, if you were to buy it, may give further info on him (like his father) or where he came from

Loescher  Richard    Lambeth  1d 669

Hello!

To all english people. Try to speak Zschopau. The result will be a "Tsohpoh" or similar to that. Note that the handwritten word is "overwritten" once or twice.