Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edmund Chadwick 22439 - which units?

DavidOwen

• Admin

If anyone can help establish which units of the West Yorkshire Regiment and Lancashire Fusiliers my great grandfather served in that would be great as I could then obtain the relevant war diaries.

MIC below

image.png.604a685fd9ba1a10170b9c9dbbcbf4b8.png

I am aware a service record exists for him at Kew but haven't had sight of it yet

Many thanks

David

• Admin
26 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

He was with the  2nd West Yorks prior to commission.

Craig

Thanks Craig, I had a feeling I could rely on you!

Now to just establish his unit in the Lancs.

Regards

David

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Been answered thanks 

Can anyone advise what the "Stg Ret(?)d 27.12.23"  Might refer to?

Many thanks

David

image.png.e1ad853e2e810fd4ef65baea8db12c7e.png

Edited by DavidOwen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Still trying to establish which battalion great Grandad was commissioned into in the Lancashire Fusiliers?

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated (His service record does exist at TNA but a stride too far for me at present)

Many thanks for reading

David

On 3/30/2018 at 14:49, DavidOwen said:

Been answered thanks 

Can anyone advise what the "Stg Ret(?)d 27.12.23"  Might refer to?

Many thanks

David

image.png.e1ad853e2e810fd4ef65baea8db12c7e.png

I'm not 100% certain, but the first entry in blue looks more like "S+g" to me, although I'm not sure what the "g" could be in reference to. Having seen the remainder of the phrase used in several MICs before, I've taken it to mean that the medal(s) in question were returned. So I'm assuming the "S" was his 1915 Star?

I disagree with the previous statements. I think it was a form officers had to return when applying for their medals. The rolls and card show the medals were issued on 23/1/24 several weeks after the form were returned. Officers had to apply. The I.V. is an issue voucher - still using same system in the 1980s.

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin

Reliably informed it is the ST9 which was the form Officers used.to claim their medals (on another related thread)

Thanks Mark

So, back to which unit please?

David

20 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Reliably informed it is the ST9 which was the form Officers used.to claim their medals (on another related thread)

Sorry David but not so reliably informed if you believe it’s ST9, it’s a poorly written EF9.

Agree with Craig that he was with the 2nd West Yorkshire Regiment but Medal Rolls hold no clues as to his Lancashire Fusiliers battalion, that detail will need to come from another source.

Steve

• Admin

This is possibly him (unless there were more than one officer named E Chadwick in the LF) listed in a draft of officers proceeding to the BEF from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers on 19th September 1917.

The list does not mention in which units the officers went on to serve.

(From The Lancashire Fusiliers Annual, 1917)

Regards

Russ

E Chadwick LF.JPG

4 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Still trying to establish which battalion great Grandad was commissioned into in the Lancashire Fusiliers?

David

According to the Monthly Army List for September 1917, E. Chadwick is shown listed in the 1st and 2nd Battalions Lancashire Fusiliers section as a Temporary Second Lieutenant commissioned on 1st August 1917.

By the November 1917 Monthly Army List he is still shown listed under 1st and 2nd Battalions section but with an additional (1-6) entry which I believe means he was then serving with the 1/6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

Steve

6126DB09-5E51-479A-B7A2-3C99E5E23D23.jpeg

On the October 1917 army list he's shown as being with 1st or 2nd battalion (the officers of the two battalions are shown under a generic entry covering both battalions).

Craig