Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Arthur Cyril Peatman - Service Records

Can anyone help me please

I’m trying to find some army service information regarding my Grandfather. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

His name was Private Arthur Cyril Peatman born 1st Sept 1895 in Ropsley, Lincs. He joined up with the Lincolnshire Yeomanry sometime around Oct/Nov 1914 according to the dates on the Army Service Numbers website.

His Service Number was: 1857. I also know that some army numbers were re-numbered in 1917, (The Lincolnshire Yeomanry was allocated five digit numbers within the block 55001 to 60000). He was sick on the voyage back & most of his personal possession were stolen.

According to a book of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in the Lincolnshire achieves the only information found was, he went out to the Middle East with the 1st Battalion/ 1st Line. (refer below). Before being transferred to the Imperial Camel Corps I also know about the transport ship the Mercian that was sunk by a German U Boat transporting half the troops to the middle-east.

I have a letter with his rank modified from Pte to L.Cpl. by hand, but don’t know who changed it. The letter was an invitation to the opening ceremony of the Lincoln War Memorial dated March 1922.

I’ve look on the Ancestry.co.uk website, rang the National Achieves at KEW & emailed various people, looking for his service record & especially his medal card, but he doesn’t appear anywhere, I also looked up various different spellings, but no luck. I know that a lot of WW1 information was destroyed during WW2

My Aunt thinks she remembers something about Arthur Cyril not picking up his medals. But this is just hearsay.

When I was in the Lincoln Achieves there was a book that mentioned him:-

Lincs Yeomanry Militia (by Swallow)

Page 13

Imperial Camel Corps Egypt

1/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry (Those known – see Imperial Camel Corps Medal Roll “A” Squadron.

2405 Pte Boyers A

2441 Pte Hewson G

1857 Peatman AC

Page 14

Imperial Camel Corps Medal

1857 Pte Peatman AC

Page 48

Peatman AC (Arthur Cyril) 1857 Pte 1/1 Bat A Sqd

NOK Mother , Sapperton, Folkingham.

Joined Imperial Camel Corps, A Sqd, Egypt

Regards

Dave

My Aunt thinks she remembers something about Arthur Cyril not picking up his medals. But this is just hearsay.

Medals for 'other ranks' were issued automatically, there was no need to claim them.

Craig

He should have a MIC but since you tried various spellings & no luck it could be misfiled & nowhere near where it should be in the stacks. Frustrating in the extreme I know. You may have to look at the Linc. Yeo. medal rolls for his entry if the card cannot be found.

As Craig said they were sent out to other ranks automatically so he would have been sent them to his last address of record with no action taken by himself to get them. He certainly earned medals for his service so good luck in the search for the issues records. Yes indeed the odds his record of service is gone are high so that may be a lost cause but the medal rolls will give you some joy but will take time to troll through  them. Good Luck in the search & don't give up. This forum is rife with expertise & someone may come along soon who can help you a lot or who loves a challenge & will dive in to see what they can find.

No mention in the Lincolnshire yeomanry, corps of hussars or any other Regiment that I can see. Very odd.

albert boyers is listed as is George Hewson. Why Peatman isn’t, is a mystery that needs solving!

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=hUP59&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&db=MedalRolls&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&_F00061C3=Lincolnshire Yeomanry&_F00061C3_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=ea7&gl=&gst=&hc=50&fh=800&fsk=BEJq368IgAAE7gA4mPA-61-

8 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

No mention in the Lincolnshire yeomanry, corps of hussars or any other Regiment that I can see. Very odd.

albert boyers is listed as is George Hewson. Why Peatman isn’t, is a mystery that needs solving!

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=hUP59&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&db=MedalRolls&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&_F00061C3=Lincolnshire Yeomanry&_F00061C3_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=ea7&gl=&gst=&hc=50&fh=800&fsk=BEJq368IgAAE7gA4mPA-61-

I couldn't see him either - odd that he appears to be missing from the MIC's and the Rolls . I could understand the MIC being missing but not the lack of other records.

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

I couldn't see him either - odd that he appears to be missing from the MIC's and the Rolls . I could understand the MIC being missing but not the lack of other records.

Craig

Another angle, could he have been commissioned? Therefore having to claim his entitlement and didn’t, so nothing in the rolls?

1 minute ago, wandererpaul said:

Another angle, could he have been commissioned? Therefore having to claim his entitlement and didn’t, so nothing in the rolls?

Possibly although I'm not sure how they then handled a medal issued where the entitlement was earned whilst 'in the ranks'.

Craig