Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE. 56108 Benjamin Entwistle King's

damien7

Hi Pals

I have a Victory medal to PTE. 56108 Benjamin Entwistle Kings Liverpool Regt. 11th Battalion, formerly 27343 East Lancashire Regt..

I believe he was a POW as he died on 6th Nov 1918 and is buried Niederzwehren cemetery Germany.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=903332

Soldiers died lists him as Died of wounds France & Flanders?

I must admit I am a total WW1 POW novice & would appreciate any tips on how I may find more info about Benjamin Entwistle (POW camp etc.)

Hello Damienkane, welcome to the forum

I've just done a quick search on the POW database on the Long, Long Trail website (there's a link top left of this page) but there are no Entwistles listed.

Your only chance now is

- find his service record at the National Archives, and/or

- write to the Archvist at the International Committee of the Red Cross. The ICRC has vast archives of POW material, and will carry out research on application.

Good luck.

Thanks Chris

I hope to visit the pro soon, been planning a 1st visit for ages!

I will contact the ICRC as well.

Thanks for your help.

Damien

Damienkane,

Try Googling Enwistle Family History Association.

Cheers Shelley :)

Damienkane

The 1901 census has 8 entries for Benjamin Entwistle and all are located in Lancashire. Of these, 4 are about the right age to have been in the war. Does SDGW give you a place of birth and enlistment? If so, we may be able to identify his family.

Steve

Thanks, Pete. That’s just what I needed.

Benjamin was born in the second quarter of 1886 and his birth is recorded in Volume 8e, Page 470.

The 1891 census shows him to be aged 5 and living at 4, Mill House, Yate with Pickup Bank, which is just outside Darwen, near to Waterside. Benjamin is living at the house of his uncle, John Walsh, along with this mother Betty (35) and sister Margaret (12). Betty is recorded as Married but her husband is not shown. On the 1891 census, Benjamin is shown to be born in Waterside.

By 1901, the same family members are now residing at 11, Waterside Terrace, Darwen. Still Benjamin’s father is not shown. All the people in the house are cotton weavers (as were most of the population of Darwen at this time).

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Steve

Hi pals

Thanks, im overwhelmed for the help and info, very much appreciated.

Damien