Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Percival Samuel Henry Grice, Lt. 2/17th London Regt. KIA

John Vickers

I could do with some help (once again!) with another of my war memorial men that I'm writing up, especially anything to do with his dates and movements from attestation on. Facts as I know them are as follows:

Percival Samuel Henry Grice

Born 16th October, 1890 to Samuel Christmas and Margaret Stewart (nee Wilson), in Limehouse, London

Taught at Abbey Board School, West Ham, from 1911

Pte 5324 17th Btn London Rgt.

Married under special licence 24th February, 1916, to Florence Gertrude Morgan, at St Stephen's, Bow

Later Lieutenant 2/17th London Rgt.

KIA 2nd September, 1918

Home address at death: 66 Lefevre Road, Bow.

I already have: most civil records (Census, marriage cert., probate, etc.).

On the military side I have Medal Card, CWGC documents and headstone images. I do not have his file, his Soldiers Effects, Attestation date, Gazette entry for commission.

I haven't been able to find a War Diary either.

I am aware that he has a file at TNA (WO 374/29316) but it isn't digitised and I cannot get there to view it.

I would be so grateful for any help with his story.

Edited by John Vickers
Additional information added

Here's his Soldiers' Effects record - Ancestry has entered him as 'N.S.H. Grice' for some reason

Mike

Mike, Thanks for that. Hadn't turned up on my Ancestry searches.

J

I just tracked down three Gazette entries in the last five minutes, including this one. Thanks for looking!

J

Can anyone help out with movements/actions/engagements/dates of 2/17th Btn London Regt (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) following their return from Palestine to the Western Front? The Ancestry War Diary is screwed up. It lists the dates as available but actually ends in January 1918. This is what they show:

Regiment or Unit: London Regiment
Sub Unit: 17th (County of London) Battalion (Poplar and Stepney Rifles)
Division: 47th Division
Diary Dates: 1915 Mar - 1919 Feb
Piece Description: Piece 2737/1: 1/17 Battalion London Regiment (Poplar and Stepney Rifles) (1915 Mar - 1919 Feb)
Piece Number: 2737

You're showing the 1/17th War diaries above (which do in fact extend past Jan 1918 in the Ancestry muddle) - the 2/17th returned in June 1918 and the diaries are downloadable here at the National Archives - I can't locate them on Ancestry at the moment

Mike

Here's the 2/17th from 1st June 1918 on Ancestry

Mike

As Grice is not mentioned in the 2/17th diary, I saw in his medal roll and on CWGC that he was attached to the 2/23rd London Regiment - here is the 2/23rd diary entry on 2nd September 1918 on Ancestry - "2/Lt PSH Grice and 13 OR's killed"

Mike

Edited by Langdon

Mike,

Sorry - been away a few days and just catching up. Thanks for sorting out my muddle!

That diary entry is great. I'd been doing some work on it via Brigade and Divisional information and realised it must have been Wulverghem or Neuve Eglise, so that is brilliant.

John