Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SomeKindHand

stephen binks

The closest British cemetery to our winter retreat is Wavans British Cemetery, which is about ten minutes drive. Amongst the forty three burials are twelve R.A.F/R.N.A.S/R.F.C including Major James McCudden and the top Australian Ace, Flight Commander Robert Alexander Little; DSO,+ Bar, DSC + Bar; (Below). The beauty of being away from the burial grounds is time to research and read up on at least some of the burial grounds visited and the servicemen buried there. Little was found in his aircraft on the morning of 27th May, 1918 at Noeux (les Mines?). He had bled to death, having scrambled the previous evening to intercept Gotha bombers. I was surprised, having read this, how far back his body was brought for burial! And that he retains the RNAS badge but with RAF inscribed. His epitaph makes reference to his son’s nickname, “Bylmp”, taken from the name he gave his aircraft.

little compressed.jpg

Hi, wavans is one of our locals as well. Last year we picked sloe berries from the raised hedge opposite the entrance.currently working in the bottle, following on the year before Bagnaux bottle. 

Wavans is off th main road but being a casualty clearing station in the area if you look at the terrain it lends itself to a railway stop. To relieve over crowding of other hospitals and C C S some bodies were moved further hence distance. Bagnaux still has railway lines outside. 

As for the RAF RNAS , it's probably his original enlistment with a nod to the new service.

Chaz

Bagneux British Cemetery is one of my favourite visits so far through our 1918 Pilgrimage. I like yourself was struck by the old railway line and the complexity of the chronology of the burials. If I don't "get it", I usually copy the cemetery register plan and write in the first and last date, then number the sequence! A bit of a task, but usually something the size of Bagneux is an all day affair.

Bagneuxext.jpg

• 1 year later...

Whilst visiting a war memorial at Eskdalemuire Parish Church,I happened upon a bronze plaque, erected by the Clan Little Society of Foulbogshiel, by Bloodhope burn at the headwaters of the White Esk (how is that for an address?) in the memory of the Ace of Aces"Commander Robert Alexander Little Flight Cmdr. RNAS/Capt. 203 Sqn. RAF.

It Is good to know he is remembered by his kin folk of the country he died to defend.

The plaque is small but deeply moving with the words "Bold, Aggressive and Courageous, yet he was kind and gentle.

Jim(Robbie)Burns

ex of 2nd Bn. Parachute Regiment and 22nd Special Air Service Regiment.

Edited by Guest
Additional info. Comd. A E Little, was Australia's, premier air ace of the Ist WW born in Victoria 19/06/95 KIA at Noeux France 27/05/18