Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"GALLICA"- BIBLIOTHEQUE NATIONALE- OFFICIAL HISTORIES AND UNIT HISTORIES

As there does not seem to be a specific plug for this source on GWF, then may I speak up for Gallica? It is the digitised version of the French national library, the Bibliotheque Nationale and has digitised a great quantity of books and newspapers (the equivalent of British Newspaper Archive is chucked in as well)  It is free to use and searchable, with all the items fully digitised to a high quality.  It has, of course, large holdings of French unit histories of the Great War- I list the first one that came up here-each is accompanied by a thumbnail of the front cover that will enlarge:   (The BNF also appears to mark on the regimental histories which brigade and division the unit was with)

This seems a very large and comprehensive source on the actions of our allies (who also provided the venue for most of it) but looks to be little used from the UK.   It contains also a number of scanned-in English language books and photographs, though I have not noted anything out of the ordinary here.  Anglophone readers may find difficulty in navigating a French system- the mindset for organisation seems a little illogical to the Anglo-Saxon mind. Those colleagues who have used ICRC Prisoners will be aware that one has to develop different thought patterns when dealing with anything put together by Francophone administrators.

Experience suggests that holdings of French units histories are not that good anywhere in the UK, let alone that the physical volumes do not turn up on the English market. Thus, a great source.   The cataloguing sub-section on the war for "unit histories" lists 619 items.  I have noticed various rolls of honour but they do not seem to have a cataloguing sub-section of their own.

PS- a search on COPAC for French unit histories is disappointing-  for keyword "regiment de l'infanterie" there appear to be only 2 lone copies of French unit histories listed-the 82nd and 94th

Historique du 146e régiment d'infanterie pendant la guerre 1914 -1919 - 1919

Sujet  Guerre mondiale ( 1914 -1918) -- Campagnes et batailles -- France
Sujet  Guerre mondiale ( 1914 -1918) -- Histoire des unités -- France
Sujet  France. Armée. Régiment d'infanterie (146) -- 1900-1945

Notice complète

Format :

1 vol. (VI-76 p.-[1] f. de pl.) : ill. ; 23 cm
Format :

Nombre total de vues : 94
Titre :
 Historique du 146e régiment d'infanterie pendant la guerre 1914 -1919
Éditeur :
 Impr. Berger-Levrault (Nancy)
Date d'édition :
Sujet :
 Guerre mondiale ( 1914 -1918) -- Campagnes et batailles -- France Relancer la recherche sur ce sujet dans Gallica
Sujet :
 Guerre mondiale ( 1914 -1918) -- Histoire des unités -- France Relancer la recherche sur ce sujet dans Gallica
Sujet :
 France. Armée. Régiment d'infanterie (146) -- 1900-1945 Relancer la recherche sur ce sujet dans Gallica
Type :
 text
Type :
 monographie imprimée
Type :
 monographie imprimée
Langue :
 français
Droits :
 domaine public
Droits :
 public domain
Identifiant :
 ark:/12148/bpt6k991703k
Source :
 Bibliothèque nationale de France, département Philosophie, histoire, sciences de l'homme, 2009-121574
Notice du catalogue :
 http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb41477938m
Provenance :
 Bibliothèque nationale de France
Date de mise en ligne :
 14/12/2016
Edited by Guest

There is linking to the french site where there is a full listing and links, but the search just returned and error code and I can't find it.

21 minutes ago, MartH said:

There is linking to the french site where there is a full listing and links, but the search just returned and error code and I can't find it.

Seemed OK earlier- what were you looking for? I can give it a go from my end.  

PS-Hope the mutt is OK

12 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

As there does not seem to be a specific plug for this source on GWF, then may I speak up for Gallica? 

Thank you - I have wrestled in the past with the 'Journal Officiel' but had missed the wider content on Gallica.  Hours of fun loom.

Hello, here it the thread with the link to the French equivalent of the GWF http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/183904-french-official-histories-free/ 

Kai is fine, still hunting for Co-op Chorizo, went for walk two weekends a go and we both got soaked head to toe, and he loved the toweling down.

Thanks MH. -Yes, our canine friends seem to like the fuss and attention. Bless'em.

I was unaware just how weak were the holdings of French "regimentals" in the UK, the more so given that British units were often side to side and the French volumes might add to the story.

French holdings are week, Edmonds corresponded a great deal with the French authors, AFGG and regimentals.