Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907 assistance with pommel/ unit stamps sought

RGJDEE

Also would appreciate any comments as this is my first purchase. Looks like it’s a Pall mall wilkinson.

thanks in advance , RichardC747553F-761B-4802-B4CD-1DEE0E0CBA5D.jpeg.b7145b905c3e36646cb2db62bbdd8e8d.jpeg

20E3920C-3153-41EA-92E4-1F56832499E3.jpeg

D3B25817-A097-40F1-AF63-1985E5AE9890.jpeg

44C214FD-5C75-4D74-A022-B90EF165D9F4.jpeg

6FE7B8DE-E2FD-465C-916F-141F1A4847A0.jpeg

Welcome to the slippery slope of collecting Bayonets.

Crossguard: DP = drill purpose ONLY,  not for service issue.

Pommel: 2 KR = 2 Bn. KRRC, the King’s Royal Rifle Corps was my Thought. However, Instructions to Armourers gives KRR.

Pommel: 40 and 357 are both rack numbers, so that the well-fitting bayonet stays with the right Rifle.

Usually, when a number is changed the original number is lined through. Font size indicates that 40 was the first rack number, and 357 was applied later.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks JMB 

slippery slope indeed !

anyone else any thoughts on the 

2-K-R 

confess I thought the cross guard was H G ( home guard) hence the ‘advice wanted’ !

been wanting one for ages 

any comments on condition ??

4 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Thanks JMB 

slippery slope indeed !

anyone else any thoughts on the 

2-K-R 

confess I thought the cross guard was H G ( home guard) hence the ‘advice wanted’ !

been wanting one for ages 

any comments on condition ??

Certainly looks to be D P on the cross guard, has the tip of the blade been rounded off??

As JMB said rifles was my first thought but should be K.R.R., but the K looks to be over stamped with Something when you expand the photo.

Dave.

From your photos, I would say that the walnut grips, the screw-bolts/nuts, cross-guard, Pommel and blade are all in average condition. No rust or pitting is present. Unless it is in shadow, the locking button in the pommel looks slightly depressed—-is it ?

Does the locking button move freely with some resistance (against an internal spring) or is it loose ?

Regards,

JMB

Blade not rounded edge not honed button is not loose and does depress with a little help ! Bit stiff

31 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Certainly looks to be D P on the cross guard, has the tip of the blade been rounded off??

As JMB said rifles was my first thought but should be K.R.R., but the K looks to be over stamped with Something when you expand the photo.

Dave.

Dave,

As you say, the K does not look quite "clean".  Since there is no second "R", then it could/should not have been struck as a "K".

The only regiment with a 2-letter stamp, of which the second is "R", is The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) denoted by SR.

Does not resemble SR, but maybe N/K R ???

Altogether confusing, until somebody announces "Oh yes, it is Indian Army (Napier's/Nelson's/Newton's Rifles)" then all will be clear !

This assumes that the SMLE rifle was actually issued to the IA.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

Stamping of DP on the crossguard was (is?) common Indian practice.

Is there any sign of a white paint stripe around the handle (perhaps in the grain of the wood?) - the DP stamp is often accompanied by this

And indeed SMLEs were  (and still are!) issued in India and Mk3* s were produced as late as 1988!

Chris

10 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Dave,

As you say, the K does not look quite "clean".  Since there is no second "R", then it could/should not have been struck as a "K".

The only regiment with a 2-letter stamp, of which the second is "R", is The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) denoted by SR.

Does not resemble SR, but maybe N/K R ???

Altogether confusing, until somebody announces "Oh yes, it is Indian Army (Napier's/Nelson's/Newton's Rifles)" then all will be clear !

This assumes that the SMLE rifle was actually issued to the IA.

Regards,

JMB

The orientation of the stamping is unusual also, and to me there's a general feel a non British issued piece.

Unusual the blade hasn't been rounded off as would normally be the case, and certainly looks as though the locking mechanism has been replaced.

Dave.

Thankyou all. there is no trace of white paint on the grips.

I have a P1907 with DP stamp exactly as this example and still with original tip present (not rounded). There were traces of yellow paint under the grips.

This was covered in another post,  the pommel is stamped T B S M,  which is thought to be:-  Telegraph Battalion Sappers & Miners.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Thanks mikey

Both bayonet and scabbard show indications of Indian service, while the stampings also look a little "non-British".

And so it is quite easy to find a match with the Indian Army regiments of the Great War ... the 2nd Kashmir Rifles. :) 

13 minutes ago, shippingsteel said:

Both bayonet and scabbard show indications of Indian service, while the stampings also look a little "non-British".

And so it is quite easy to find a match with the Indian Army regiments of the Great War ... the 2nd Kashmir Rifles. :) 

Yes, if it is a clean K.

Regards,

JMB

15 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Yes, if it is a clean K.

Regards,

JMB

Really can't make out that confusing first letter, certainly something not right.....even after a couple of glasses of grape juice!

Even asked Mrs B and couldn't say for sure as not clear enough.

Regards to all,

Dave.

Don't know whats happened to the EDIT button on this forum, as I was wanting to add another link. :wacko:

Anyway here is the link which provides a colourful background story for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.centenarynews.com/article/100-years-ago-today-battle-of-lukigura-in-east-africa 

Yes the bayonet certainly needs a good clean, all the stamping imprints are full of gunk, making them very unclear.

However as with letters of the alphabet, the available possibilities amongst the Indian Regiments are also quite limited.

Thanks again will give a gentle clean and re post nxt week . Thanks for the links  will check them out. 

48 minutes ago, shippingsteel said:

Don't know whats happened to the EDIT button on this forum, as I was wanting to add another link. :wacko:

Anyway here is the link which provides a colourful background story for anyone who may be interested.

http://www.centenarynews.com/article/100-years-ago-today-battle-of-lukigura-in-east-africa 

Yes the bayonet certainly needs a good clean, all the stamping imprints are full of gunk, making them very unclear.

However as with letters of the alphabet, the available possibilities amongst the Indian Regiments are also quite limited.

Thanks for the links S.S. 

Most interesting and informative.

Regards,

Dave.

After a gentle clean .........

no marks to scabbard . Any ideas with the inspection marks ?

seems like the 2.K.R is correct. 

Thanks in advance as always 

Richard.

any suggestions with acquiring bayonet issued to R W Kent’s / or Buffs ( my Grandfathers Regiments)

B0930AE6-3AF6-45A6-AB7A-6EB14AE964E4.jpeg

2456960B-ABE7-49C5-B3C8-5ADF2A6AEA24.jpeg

268604E0-D187-4179-9BFE-406FD02108ED.jpeg

The inspectors marks look to be 'E' for Enfield.

Mike.

Thanks

2 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

After a gentle clean .........

no marks to scabbard . Any ideas with the inspection marks ?

seems like the 2.K.R is correct. 

Thanks in advance as always 

Richard.

any suggestions with acquiring bayonet issued to R W Kent’s / or Buffs ( my Grandfathers Regiments)

B0930AE6-3AF6-45A6-AB7A-6EB14AE964E4.jpeg

2456960B-ABE7-49C5-B3C8-5ADF2A6AEA24.jpeg

268604E0-D187-4179-9BFE-406FD02108ED.jpeg

That's much better, cleaned up really well.

Havent seen a unit marked one for your grandfathers regiment recently, but if I do I'll give you the nod....there are a few online dealers who regularly deal in bayonets, it may be worth an email or two , if no joy they could look out for one on your behalf.

Dave.

Thanks Dave 

very happy with this one ( £ 90 )

however ............. one that had been to France/Flanders esp with one of those Regiments would be a real plum . Appreciate your kind offer and advice 

regards Richard 

The unit markings certainly help to add to the interest of a bayonet. I don't recall seeing such markings on any post WW2 bayonets - did the practice cease?