Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Albert T pointer.

Gwyn jones

Searching for a friend who`s` great grandfather died on the 9th june 1917, at ravine wood, the only deaths on the 9th june were in olive trench but not certain if he was one of them, he was with the 13th bn Middlesex regiment,  she would like any info on him or even a picture if possible. it seems that only officers seem to be named, he is at the menin gate memorial and his service number was G/5541. cheers in advance, 

20180202_123308[4212].jpg

hello

the local paper is your best bet for a picture  -  he was born in Whittlesey near Peterborough, Cambs but enlisted in Chelsea, Middx

and T is for Thomas

7 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

hello

the local paper is your best bet for a picture  -  he was born in Whittlesey near Peterborough, Cambs but enlisted in Chelsea, Middx

and T is for Thomas

Thanks for that Coldstreamer, i will try the local paper, :-) his memorial photo is in Whittlesey cemetery,

On 1/31/2018 at 21:47, heatherannej said:

Hello there.   I have been donated a batch of photographs (collected by a Great War V.A.D. nurse) to use within a couple of my Home Hospital site. Some identify the nurses and soldiers/regiments.   I should like to include the unidentified ones though and if I can include the regiments, that would be a bonus for me.   I aim to place them one by one on the Forum, hoping that members can help.  Many thanks in advance ... this is the first one ... Heather    P.S. I hope the image is good enough ... if it isn't, I will try to improve on it.

BlancheMillerCollection_07_CapBadge.jpg

Hi Gwyn jones,

Reading between the lines of your post, I guess that you've already raided the sources on Ancestry/Findmypast and obtained medal roll, Soldiers Died, Soldiers Effects records, etc as well as the battalion war diary. In the absence of surviving service papers you may not be aware that the amount of war gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers Effects record can be used to calculate a reliable date from which his service started - in your case circa November 1914. You may be able to refine that further by looking for papers of near number men - for example G/5548 Armstrong attested on 7th November 1914.

Albert has a surviving will. It may well only consist of a very few words, and would come as a low resolution black and white scan of the original.

Regards

Chris

His effects record would indicate enlistment in the month from 10 Oct 14 so it's not brilliant at narrowing the enlistment date in this instance.

Craig

Hi Craig,

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

His effects record would indicate enlistment in the month from 10 Oct 14 so it's not brilliant at narrowing the enlistment date in this instance.

image.png.e9041605c9f286f9a2f2651f260ba869.png

The month from 10th October would include 7th November. Do the dates differ because of 'roundings' in you calculators calculation?

Regards

Chris

1 minute ago, clk said:

Hi Craig,

image.png.e9041605c9f286f9a2f2651f260ba869.png

The month from 10th October would include 7th November. Do the dates differ because of 'roundings' in you calculators calculation?

Regards

Chris

There will be rounding in some cases -  I should have added I did my calculation above manually.

Craig

3 hours ago, Gwyn jones said:

Thanks for that Coldstreamer, i will try the local paper, :-) his memorial photo is in Whittlesey cemetery,

Where abouts ?  Never noticed any photos when Ive been there

51 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

Where abouts ?  Never noticed any photos when Ive been there

Sorry mucked that up. god knows why i put photo after memorial, i meant his memorial is in Whittlesey cemetery, .........do you live locally in this area, ???

2 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Gwyn jones,

Reading between the lines of your post, I guess that you've already raided the sources on Ancestry/Findmypast and obtained medal roll, Soldiers Died, Soldiers Effects records, etc as well as the battalion war diary. In the absence of surviving service papers you may not be aware that the amount of war gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers Effects record can be used to calculate a reliable date from which his service started - in your case circa November 1914. You may be able to refine that further by looking for papers of near number men - for example G/5548 Armstrong attested on 7th November 1914.

Albert has a surviving will. It may well only consist of a very few words, and would come as a low resolution black and white scan of the original.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, the trouble with Ancestry etc is you have to pay to get the info, as its not for me and im doing it as a favour my wife would never let me do that lol, but you have opened a whole new world of searching for me, are there any free sites that you know of, im new to this so any help would be great......Gwyn, 

you can get ancestry free for a few weeks if a new account

I used to work in Whittlesey 

1 minute ago, Coldstreamer said:

you can get ancestry free for a few weeks if a new account

I used to work in Whittlesey 

I will give it a go and see what happens, i do the Shrubs and hedges in Whittlesey/March/Wisbech and Chatteris, including all the cemeteries, thats what drew me to the site in the first place, after seeing all the war graves on my rounds, so i will be posting a few up in the future, is there such a thing as a map which lists all the registered war graves ??

you can search the CWGC by cemetery

I may well have met you at some point, or at least seen you, used to be the local PCSO

1 minute ago, Coldstreamer said:

you can search the CWGC by cemetery

I may well have met you at some point, or at least seen you, used to be the local PCSO

Small world eh, just sussed the map, thanks for that, i work for ISS contracted by fenland council, ......going to have a good look around the cemetery. only found a dozen so i am missing 8 graves, by the way the person im researching for is Barbara who tends the graves in the Cemetery, just in case you know her, 

He left a soldier’s will

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Pointer&SurnameGrants=Pointer&YearOfDeath=1917&YearOfDeathGrants=1917&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False#soldiers

1911 has him in Fulham by the look of it. Living with wife Margaret. Profession Tailor(maker). 

Edited by Mark1959

9 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

He left a soldier’s will

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Pointer&SurnameGrants=Pointer&YearOfDeath=1917&YearOfDeathGrants=1917&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False#soldiers

1911 has him in Fulham by the look of it. Living with wife Margaret. Profession Tailor(maker). 

Thanks for that Mark, but once again i would have to pay a tenner to see it, where did you get the info on him living in fulham in 2011.