Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prize money and deciphering ships names

giff

Could I ask if anyone could help decipher the ships names on the service record for a family member serving with the Royal Naval Reserves. There is also a mention of prize money? We are just trying to piece together what we can of his service life as there are now no family members that would know 

many thanks

04F93875-C1CF-44AA-82E6-59F5A4346B01.png

I can't magnify it enough to see very clearly, but one of the ships is SABRINA which if I recall correctly was a smallish vessel serving in home waters.

The Kew RNR records are truly dreadful. With great difficulty can make out the following ships, which were all parent ships/bases for boats (trawlers, etc) of the Auxiliary Patrol (AP)

HMS ACTAEON - Sheerness; HMS ATTENTIVE II - Dover; HMS SABRINA - Milford Haven (until Aug 1916); HMS LONGSET -  Swansea (until Feb 1917); HMS SHIKARI II - Swansea (from Feb 1917); HMS IDAHO - Milford Haven (from Aug 1916). What I cannot discern is the actual AP boat in which he served.

If you want a decent, full-size (A3), colour copy of the record apply to the Fleet Air Arm Museum who hold all the original records

Edited by horatio2

Thank you, that’s fantastic work. That will give us something to work from now. We will, as you suggest apply to the Museum for a decent copy. There is a family tale that along the way somewhere in his service they came accross a German U boat but we will see what we can find.

Thanks again