Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

His Plan of Attack

stiletto_33853

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, probably but could not find any reference to it.

Has anyone seen this as yet?? and if so is it worth seeing or the usual not properly researched Haig bashing.

Andy

1916 His Plan of Attack.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thanks for flagging this one up.

Cambridge is one hour away by car for me.

I suspect it will be a Haig basher.... but, what the heck....it might be worth going.

Phil

If it's about the Somme 1916, then slight licence using the Sassoon quotation, which is about Arras 1917:

“Good-morning, good-morning!” the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
“He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Choosing this poem as the source of the play's title perhaps gives a clue to the position the audience is likely to encounter .

Mark

1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

Thanks for flagging this one up.

Cambridge is one hour away by car for me.

I suspect it will be a Haig basher.... but, what the heck....it might be worth going.

Phil

Rather closer for me - about 30 minutes' walk! I've noted it in my diary.

I agree with Mark - I don't think anyone would have called Haig a "cheery old card"!

Ron

1916: His Plan of Attack

Following on from 1914: Assassination Before Lunch and 1915: Dead in the Water, this third production in Sean Lang’s Great War cycle of plays tells the story of Sir Douglas Haig and his plan to launch a major offensive in 1916 on the Somme. 

The disastrous opening of the battle, on 1st July, proved the worst day in the entire history of the British army, with nearly sixty thousand casualties for negligible gains. But this is a much more intimate and human portrait of Haig than the caricature versions in Blackadder or Oh, What a Lovely War. This Haig is a deeply reflective man, conscious of the weight of his responsibilities and of his close relationship with his wife and with God. His flawed plan of attack is the result of political commitments and compromises over which he has little control. 

Based on research in Haig’s papers and on the latest historical research into this complex and often misunderstood man, this play shows how the commander too can be a victim of the war.

Opening Times

16 - 18 April(16 Apr 2018 - 18 Apr 2018)
Day Times 
Start - Finish
Monday 19:30 21:30
Tuesday 19:30 21:30
Wednesday 19:30 21:30

* Tickets: £12.00 (£10.00 concessions)

For those who think Sir Douglas was a profound thinker or a man of deep character I can only suggest they read his much edited and re-written diaries.  

But he certainly wasn't the only one!

"All you have to do is keep our infantry up to strength and not waste man-power in tanks and aviation." Gen. Rawlinson G.O.C. 4th Army to Field Marshal Sir Henry Wilson, C.I.G.S., August 29th, 1918

Edited by 2ndCMR

Here we go again. I asked if anyone had seen this yet and if it was the usual Haig bashing or worth seeing. This thread was not intended as yet another thread regarding the man himself, his policies or manner of conducting the war, but a simple question of "Has anyone seen this"!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

• Admin

Well no one has seen it as it doesn’t open until April,

as to being properly researched, the author is:-

https://www.anglia.ac.uk/arts-law-and-social-sciences/department-of-humanities-and-social-sciences/staff/sean-lang

who introduced the first, of an intended six, in the cycle of dramas about the war with a discussion with Gary Sheffield which suggests a certain scholarship in his writing.  There is more information an reviews in his blog.

Ken

2 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Here we go again. I asked if anyone had seen this yet and if it was the usual Haig bashing or worth seeing. This thread was not intended as yet another thread regarding the man himself, his policies or manner of conducting the war, but a simple question of "Has anyone seen this"!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

You forgot the question mark !😃

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

• 2 months later...
On 03/02/2018 at 14:29, Ron Clifton said:

Rather closer for me - about 30 minutes' walk! I've noted it in my diary.

I agree with Mark - I don't think anyone would have called Haig a "cheery old card"!

Ron

Sad to say, having booked up a couple of tickets for tonight's performance, a crisis has prevented me from going.

If you get to see it, Ron, please would you tell me what I’ve missed ?

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

Out of interest (and I throw this in for personal colour), Anglia Ruskin used to be the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology, and was where I got my HND. Also the stamping ground for Tom Sharp and Wilt.

Fluck and Law?  Syd Barrett and David Gilmour?

I was planning to see it this week, but at the weekend the website did not show any opportunities to book seats, so I assume that it is sold out. I might try again tomorrow (the last night) to see if there are any available seats.

Ron

Sassoon's "The General" was not about Haig, other than in a general sense!  It was apparently a reference to Pinney, the 33rd Division GOC?  Obviously it has now become a sort of "Everyman" figure and therefore could be applied to any of them.

On 17/04/2018 at 19:28, Ron Clifton said:

I was planning to see it this week, but at the weekend the website did not show any opportunities to book seats, so I assume that it is sold out. I might try again tomorrow (the last night) to see if there are any available seats.

Ron

When I booked, there were precious few places taken...so few, that I wondered if the thing was viable.

This sounds like a brave venture ; I would so love to have gone....but if it turns out that it was dire, that will serve as some sort of perverse consolation for wasting the tickets.

Phil

15 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

It was apparently a reference to Pinney

Dr Dunn thought Sassoon had 'hit him to the life'

and Sassoon blamed Pinney for having "very nearly lost me my life"

[details from Max Egremont's biography]

In the end, I did not go, although according to their website there seemed to be plenty of places left. It had been a very hot and humid afternoon and I doubted my ability to stay awake for a two-hour performance.

Ron

7 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Dr Dunn thought Sassoon had 'hit him to the life'

and Sassoon blamed Pinney for having "very nearly lost me my life"

Yes.  Sassoon met Pinney after the war and apparently they got on like a house on fire, sharing many interests including hunting.  However I also wonder if "Great Major General Bluff" is also a reference to Pinney? (in 'Founder's Feast')