Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Thomas Finbow Information required

Police Collector

Hi I am new to the forum so hope that I have listed this in the correct place. I have recently bought a WW1 trio and plaque to one of my ancestors Frederick Thomas Finbow from Shoreditch London. He was listed as wounded and en route to hospital on 18 August 1916 whilst serving with 7th Rifle Brigade at Melville Wood. The following year he was listed as killed in action but the date was given as 18/8/16. I have managed to find a service record for him on Ancestry but wonder if anyone can help me with how to locate a war diary entry or a photograph of him. Obviously any information that anyone could help me with would be very much appreciated.

Thanks  Trev

Local paper is best bet for a photo

Or search this roll, you may need to go to home page as can't get to load on my tablet 

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/Biographical/library/The-Roll-of-Honour-Ruvigny-Volume-I/files/assets/basic-html/page354.html

B/2078 A/Cpl Finbow was in "D" Company. The war diary is on Ancestry under WO95/1896 where there is an appendix attached for August 1916 attack on Delville Wood.

Andy

43112_1896_1-00135.jpg

Strange, his service file says to Hospital wounded in action 18/8/16 and then states wounded and missing, killed in action 18/8/16 and he is on the Thiepval Memorial.

Andy

Thank you all so much for the swift replies. I have now accessed the war diary and appendix.  The search for a photograph in the local paper will be an ongoing project.  Thank you all again for taking the time to reply