Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Defaced BWM?

PhilB

This BWM to 2/Lt E F Corner, 8th East Kents has a series of straight scratches radiating from the centre of the obverse. The reverse is unaffected as are the VM & star. It seems a strange way to deface a medal but I can`t see how it could be a manufacturing fault. Anyone any ideas?

IMG_2509.JPG

They look raised to me, how do they feel if you run a finger across them

They are fine scores, not raised, but they look too carefully done to be casual defacement?

Edited by PhilB

I think the probability of this being a manufacturing fault is about zero, because the damage is, at the same time,  both systematic and irregular. The good news is that it has both survived and is in better condition that many others that have been lovingly polished to death. I once remember seeing a Star at an antique fair that had been polished flat like a mirror - on both sides!

I suspect it was done by a family member rather than a collector!!!

Regards,

Mike

On 2/2/2018 at 11:56, Jim Strawbridge said:

an anti royalist or a child.

Spot the difference ^_^

Its a shame but as Medaler says there are far worse examples out there. If it was within my own collecting realm then it would not detract from it but that is just my own view.

Certainly interesting! And done certainly with 'malicious systematic intent', as it were - but not to deface the portrait, as otherwise it would be worse (e.g., eyes would have gone). Great photographs and as I don't have a serious collecting interest in these, never noticed before the modeller's intials/numbers below the bust.

23 minutes ago, trajan said:

, never noticed before the modeller's intials/numbers below the bust.

B.M. for Bertram MacKennal 1863-1931.

The same portrait is used on the coins of Geoge V.

If the recipient was KIA, DOW or disabled perhaps a family member expressed their anger at the Crown. He appears to be a Loos casualty with no known grave which may help to explain the damage.